The price of fish.

Took my old dear shopping to Bury market today and was shocked to see how much the cost of fresh fish is. Iirc haddock and cod were selling at £16 per kilo, hake 18 halibut 22 and a kilo of fresh scollops were £24 per kilo!

Fish has become ridiculously expensive way beyond the budget of many. Many reasons for this. I know quite a few of the reasons why.

Discuss.

Out of interest how come the supposed Cod substitute "hake" is now more expensive than the actual "cod" I can't stand hake far too fishy, unlike cod which is a delicate taste and as a bonus, it doesn't actually taste of fish :)

I do like Scallops though but not the coral part

Out of interest how come the supposed Cod substitute "hake" is now more expensive than the actual "cod" I can't stand hake far too fishy, unlike cod which is a delicate taste and as a bonus, it doesn't actually taste of fish :)

I do like Scallops though but not the coral part
Because Alf, hake is frowned upon by many snobby commoner(yet naive) fish eating Brits mate. It is a delicious fish my mum would cook up when we were kids. A very underrated fish in the 70s, albeit an uncommon dinner table fish nowadays because if cost and sparse supply through overfishing. It has since become well out of the budget of the majority of fish lovers.

Why? Because us soft arse Brits governed by the EU have little say in foreign vessels pillaging our waters in a free for all. Factory ships with smaller meshed nets indiscriminately scoop up whatever they can damaging marine ecology and devastating fish stocks. When I say they scoop up everything young fish that will never mature to breed are used in products like processed fisherman's pie, fish paste etc. The rest of the entrails get sent to petfood processing factories, meaning your fish flavour cat food may be affordable, but the fish you feed your family(or like to feed your family) is often out of budget.

Oh and another thing, some of our best seafood is often shipped abroad on ice, hake is a very popular fish on the continent, especially in Spain. But most of it is fuckin' taken from UK waters!

Criminal...

I'm hoping our future government will get tough on illegal fish theft that is currently decimating our waters.

Last edited:
Fish in supermarkets has always been a rip off. I can actually get cod or haddock cooked from the local chippy cheaper than it costs to buy in Asda and cook it myself.

To be honest, it's never been cheap, I go to Spain a lot, and it's not cheap there either, someone mentioned kippers,
which I love, the best are from the Isle of Man, slightly smaller than the Scottish ones, but sweeter, herrings
are a very nutritious fish, and any shellfish will do for me.

Because Alf, hake is frowned upon by many snobby commoner(yet naive) fish eating Brits mate. It is a delicious fish my mum would cook up when we were kids. A very underrated fish in the 70s, albeit an uncommon dinner table fish nowadays because if cost and sparse supply through overfishing. It has since become well out of the budget of the majority of fish lovers.

Why? Because us soft arse Brits governed by the EU have little say in foreign vessels pillaging our waters in a free for all. Factory ships with smaller meshed nets indiscriminately scoop up whatever they can damaging marine ecology and devastating fish stocks. When I say they scoop up everything young fish that will never mature to breed are used in products like processed fisherman's pie, fish paste etc. The rest of the entrails get sent to petfood processing factories, meaning your fish flavour cat food may be affordable, but the fish you feed your family(or like to feed your family) is often out of budget.

Oh and another thing, some of our best seafood is often shipped abroad on ice, hake is a very popular fish on the continent, especially in Spain. But most of it is fuckin' taken from UK waters!

Criminal...

I'm hoping our future government will get tough on illegal fish theft that is currently decimating our waters.
Very true. There was documentary on lobster being transported to Spain. They followed the journey from the catching to the delivery to a Spanish store. They do the same with crab and the Spanish use almost all sizes of fish. They don't care much for regulation

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.