Officially the least used academy in Europes top 5 leagues.

Will be interesting to see these stats in 5 years. With players like Foden, Angelino, Garcia, THB, Doyle, Bernabe and some very good U18s, I guess we’ll see an little increase

Doyle might get pushed towards a squad role purely for the PR opportunity but I wouldn't get my hopes up for the rest. Angelino will be sold at a profit and Garcia will end up commanding a relatively high fee due to his increasing reputation. I can see the same happening with Bernabe, too.

The 2nd thing people are usually wrong on this subject is that they think City should play more youngsters in first team. If they were god enough they would play and they are usually not good enough as pretty much none of them finish playing in the club of City's stature. If there is something to blame, than it is if we scout kids good when bringing them to the academy or/and if we have good coaches in academy to develop them.

It's not hard to play the likes of McTominay, it's bit harder to be mid-table.

No, what people want is for our best young players to be given a chance, that's it. In the past 7 years we've had a total of 4 academy players start a Premier League game for us - Rekik (1 game), Pozo (1 game), Foden (3 games) and Angelino (3 games). How many games did the likes of Demichelis, Navas, Fernando, Bony, Sagna, Jovetic, Maicon, Nolito and Rodwell start between them in that period? There have been loads of kids who'd been doing well for the EDS and could have been given a few minutes off the bench to see what they'd be like in the first team, and we just chose not to. And even if they turned out not to be good enough, we probably would have got more money when we sold them just because they'd played Premier League football (look at some of the absolute shite Utd have sold over the past few years).

And Utd aren't midtable (well 6th) because of McTominay, they're midtable because of terrible recruitment and managerial appointments.

It's more of a money making exercise in selling on players than bringing through players to the first team

Perception. I guess City won't be near the top ever, but if you use the period when Barcelona had the best homegrown generation it ever had and it will ever have and City who were just starting to push their ways to the top of european football, then you'll definitely get very different results for these two clubs.

The 2nd thing people are usually wrong on this subject is that they think City should play more youngsters in first team. If they were god enough they would play and they are usually not good enough as pretty much none of them finish playing in the club of City's stature. If there is something to blame, than it is if we scout kids good when bringing them to the academy or/and if we have good coaches in academy to develop them.

It's not hard to play the likes of McTominay, it's bit harder to be mid-table.
Yeah, when you bring up Barca it's always worth noting that the academy and philosophy that made their legendary teams was the result of 10-20 years of groundwork started in the late 80s by Cruyff. On top of that, it needed someone who played under him and was entrenched in that tactical setup to put it all together and realise the dream in Guardiola.

If City were to use the same timescale then we'd still be a bit away from truly reaping the rewards. Foden would be the early bloomer for us similar to what Xavi was for Barcelona at the time.

If the current rumours of us putting poch on a retainer for when Pep departs we may be looking to try and utilise some of the young talent.

If the current rumours of us putting poch on a retainer for when Pep departs we may be looking to try and utilise some of the young talent.
good job the rumours are just that as otherwise i might have to start preparing myself for not making the top 4

Just looking at the programme for the 2016 FA Youth Cup Final against Chelsea. City listed a squad of 22 players and only 1 is still at the club!!!

And that's Daniel Grimshaw. One or two out on loan i.e Adarabioyo, Latibeaudiere. Possibly Lukas Nmecha and not sure about Manu Garcia

The truth always lies somewhere in between. According to this stay our academy is piss poor but I bet there's not many who have made as much money from selling academy talent which isn't deemed good enough for the first team.

The fact we have buyback clauses for the majority vastly reduces our need to throw academy players in to test them in the first team. If we're highly confident of success they'll be promoted (e.g. Foden, Garcia, THB), if not they'll leave and we'll make some money. If they go away and prove us wrong we simply buy them back (e.g. Angelino).

It's win win. You'll have the odd exception (e.g.Sancho) of players who don't necessarily want to come back but that's a players choice and out of our control really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.