You can't judge a book by the cover, as they say

BlueMoonRisin’

Following on from the is money everything thread had me thinking.

It's an old cliche but it a true cliche for a reason. And you sometimes simply cannot judge someone for the house they own, the car they drive, or the clothes they wear.

About 4 years ago my former workmate and i rocked up at a telecoms tower to do a job. I noticed a small scruffy guy in his early 70s walking towards us. I thought he was a tramp dossing down on the cadge for a quid or two. Reminded me of Compo from 'last of the summer wine'.

Seemed a rather pleasant humble kind of guy down on his luck, spoke in a down to earth Cornish accent. He asked us what we were doing, and I couldn't understand his interest, seeing as he looked like he didn't own a mobile. Told him we were either upgrading or fixing a fault (can't remember).

I was hoping to crack on as we were about to get busy working but he was chatting away like he wanted a bit of company, fair enough I thought. Offered him a cup of tea and got chatting some more.

I asked him of his interest in what we were doing.

He then went on to tell me he owned the telecoms site, all the surrounding land around it, and property.

He told me dead pan straight that Duke of Cornwall, Charlie boy himself begged the old boy to sell a chunk of land for 6 mil...... "What did you tell him" I asked...... He replied I told him to fuck off till he comes back with 8 million".

I smiled. Just shows you cannot judge a book by its cover, and the old boy had me well fooled: )

It's an old cliche but it a true cliche for a reason. And you sometimes simply cannot judge someone for the house they own, the car they drive, or the clothes they wear.

About 4 years ago my former workmate and i rocked up at a telecoms tower to do a job. I noticed a small scruffy guy in his early 70s walking towards us. I thought he was a tramp dossing down on the cadge for a quid or two. Reminded me of Compo from 'last of the summer wine'.

Seemed a rather pleasant humble kind of guy down on his luck, spoke in a down to earth Cornish accent. He asked us what we were doing, and I couldn't understand his interest, seeing as he looked like he didn't own a mobile. Told him we were either upgrading or fixing a fault (can't remember).

I was hoping to crack on as we were about to get busy working but he was chatting away like he wanted a bit of company, fair enough I thought. Offered him a cup of tea and got chatting some more.

He then went on to tell me he owned the telecoms site, all the surrounding land around it, and property.

He told me dead pan straight that Duke of Cornwall, Charlie boy himself begged the old boy to sell a chunk of land for 6 mil...... "What did you tell him" I asked...... He replied I told him to fuck off till he comes back with 8 million".

I smiled. Just shows you cannot judge a book by its cover, and the old boy had me well fooled: )
Scruffy fucker still had a free brew off you though. Just shows another old cliché is true - you don't get rich by giving it away.

sometimes you can - looking at the cover of this one I bet its content is shit

man-united-v-brighton-official-matchday-programme-2018-2019-19th-january-2019-242803-1-p.jpg

Sounds like the rich **** engineered a conversation where he could talk about his wealth in an attempt to impress you and therefore gratify his urge to feel superior

Could have made it all up.

Scruffy fucker still had a free brew off you though. Just shows another old cliché is true - you don't get rich by giving it away.
Where there's muck there's brass, as they say, and he looked like his shower had broken.

Another time I recall being in The Old Ball pub on the seafront of Scarborough. Got chatting to a big bald bad looking fucker. I perceived him as a 'strong in'th arm, thick in't 'ead type. Real thick 'yokshaar' accent, liked like a Leeds United nutcase type.

Told me he was a self made millionaire builder. Had a modest home in the town and had bought a rundown French chateau with vineyard and done it all up. Said he'd read the Bible and Koran twice and came across as he was a very intelligent fella.

But if looks could kill....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.