Jobs kill people.

Cheers for that. I'm planning on retiring in about 12 months time.

I meant retiring and doing nothing, should have added the latter part so I’ll edit it.

I’ve seen people retire to their arm chairs and quickly deteriorate.

As long as people keep active and do things, they’ll be fine.

Some of the Office workers on here need to be careful, sometimes turning the radiator heat up too much in winter can cause the hands to get too warm. This never happens to those lucky fuckers who work outdoors, they’ve never had a radiator “burn”, and have no idea of the danger Office workers face daily, those paper cuts can also be brutal and photocopying arse cheeks incurs numerous associated dangers.
Prepared us well for that massive burn then...

I meant retiring and doing nothing, should have added the latter part so I’ll edit it.
I’ve seen people retire to their arm chairs and quickly deteriorate.
As long as people keep active and do things, they’ll be fine.
I guessed that's what you meant but I'm a sarcastic git!!
I've no firm plans but might join a gym and I'll be doing a few long walks. I've also considered random stuff such as car delivery and mystery shopping. I just don't want a structured, restrictive job as that's what I'm retiring from. I'll happily look at stuff online for a few hours but I'm sick of doing work-related stuff on a computer.

asbestosis was a known carcinogen in the 50s, turner and newall kept it quiet for many years easily because most deaths occurred after retirement. Health and safety at the Aniline was virtually unknown, papilloma through skin contact was the biggest killer, the year i left 3 died off my shift and the oldest was 51. The American life insurance industry published figures for the police force showing that shift work reduced life expectancy by twelve years, the introduction of 12 hour shifts made it worse.
Deep sea fishing overtook mining in the 50s as the most lethal industry, nowadays suicide by the 20 to 40 age group is top of the league but not industry specific. In the north west bus drivers had the lowest life expectancy in cities, in the rural areas it was farm labourers. For the last 30 years, the stats for job-related life expectancy are subject to "suspicion", as there is no "independent body" that publishes the details, mainly due to the demise of accountability enjoyed by board-rooms and ministers (one and the same in many cases) . Most improvements have been due to the near-death of the industries involved such as mining, ship-building, train-building, fishing, steel making (british steel at Irlam was a nightmare for industrial accidents) , farm-labouring, quarrying.At the same time stress induced early death in education and health has been rising annually, but left far behind by the explosion of deaths of the homeless and the victims of the DWP purge. Figures for the construction industry have improved (not hard given it's record) but credit where it is due.

I'm sure I remember seeing on QI once that statistically, the most dangerous job in the World is actually President of the United States !

statistically one of the most dangerous jobs in the world is logging. If you have ever watched the TV show Ax Men you can understand why.

The risk whose men and women take to chop trees down are incredible

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.