DRINK A DRINK FOR COLIN THE KING THIS BOXING DAY.

The noise when he came on that day still sticks in my mind. Made the roar when Aguero scored that goal sound like a whimper
If my memory is right, he hit the bar at least once from a header from a corner kick. If he had scored, the roof of the Kippax would have come off with the noise.

That afternoon was the loudest and most emotional I have witnessed at Maine Road.

Anybody familiar with the lines about Colin in Trevor Griffiths' play Comedians? They're both amusing, and true. Any City fan could identify with them. The King, consecrated in literature!

Last edited:
My hero ,my King.
The tunnel lit up as he ran onto the pitch.
Memories I'll never ever forget.
Oh and Buchan ....
Maybe not on Christmas day.

If my memory is right, he hit the bar at least once from a header from a corner kick. If he had scored, the roof of the Kippax would have come off with the noise.

That afternoon was the loudest and most emotional I have witnessed at Maine Road.
Your memory is correct but it was just the one time. Can still remember the goosebumps I got from the raw emotion and excitement when we realised he was coming on.

Kicked towards the North Stand in the second half, so got lots of good views of him. As others have said, he was never the same player, as he didn’t actually seem to be able to straighten/extend the leg and suddenly this racehorse of a man had a hitch in his step.

Wonderful day at Maine Road that could only have been made better by a goal from The King. IIRC, he had a side volley that went close, as well as the header, too.

To have been there and at the Aguero moment, and at Wembley for the Dickson goal makes me feel like I have heard the three loudest roars from City fans in my lifetime...possibly ever.

The only thing missing from adding to those moments were the goal we couldn’t buy against Hamburg at the Etihad, which was the best WHOLE GAME atmosphere I can ever remember at a City game (especially at The Etihad) and I wish I had been there for the “Park the bus” singing to an otherwise empty Old Trafford!

I’ll be sure to raise a glass to Colin the King!

Anyone of a certain age may well remember this back in the 70's, shows what an amazing athlete the King Was

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.