Wolves - post match

Isn't all defending recovery defending?

I'll tell Baresi on you if you question us again

Marking a man out of the game italian style so he can do nothing rather than having to slide on your arse was the classic italian way. Bergomi said.

I think the problem tonight was giving the defence more protection was badly needed rather than the extra defender.

We lack the proper defence this season to remain consistently a top club, and I'm certain Pep knows this...again.

The Centurions season was marked by a top level defence across the back line.

Stones, Nico and Laporte were all top class, as was Walker. Mendy started the season really well, but then fortunately Delph was turned into a really good LB/WB.

That's been a huge difference. Even as others have improved, and sure, Silva has dropped off a bit this season, and KDB was inconsistent. Last season KDB wasn't even present, but Bernardo stepped up in his place, and Gundo had his moments.

This season has been more up and down in the central midfield with consistency, fair enough, but one has almost always been top class and when Pep has rotated someone has stepped up and performed, whether it be Foden or KDB back from the grave, or even Silva at times and Gundo. The front line, lacking Sane, has also seen some strong relationships develop (Mahrez-KDB) and individual growth (Sterling and a bit Jesus lately).

In defence where can that be said? Laporte has been gone, and not a single senior player has stepped up.

That's the problem, and will 100% be addressed this summer, as was the case after Pep's first season. The next of which we got 100 points.

IN PEP WE TRUST MFers ;)

Both teams started the season with four centre backs.
The only real difference between Garcia and Gomez, is that liverpool was put in a situation to have played him. Matip and lovren are notoriously injury prone. Alot of people have forgotten how important matip was for liverpool this season before he got injured. His stats was putting VVD stats to sleep

It's not in a natural decline at all. Where on Earth do you get that from?

The squad is young. The only old players are David Silva who is already effectively replaced and Aguero who imo has at least a season in him anyway.

Football fans who think City's days are done are making a massive mistake. City's central defence is rubbish. It's the worst it has ever been. That is the problem. It's easily fixed. Play last season's central defenders. Both are on the training pitch.

Natural decline was an unfortunate and inaccurate choice of words. What I should have said is that key members of the squad which has brought us so much success under Pep are reaching the stage when they will soon be gone. Vinny has already gone and not been replaced, Silva is in his last season, Otamendi will in all likelihood be gone in the summer, as will Sane; Stones (was he ever a key player?) is doing himself no favours; Aguero and Fernandinho are approaching the ends of their illustrious City careers. This fan is certainly not writing City off as a major force. We still have an exciting squad of young players but a number of positions are in urgent need of strengthening. And, yes, the return of Laporte will certainly strengthen the backline and improve the team generally but this season’s problems go a little deeper than his loss.

Marking a man out of the game italian style so he can do nothing rather than having to slide on your arse was the classic italian way. Bergomi said.

I think the problem tonight was giving the defence more protection was badly needed rather than the extra defender.
Agreed.

5 at the back is a big invite for them to push on. Bring Garcia on, push dinho up, not let them overload midfield.

Take it up with Franco mate
Baresi and Maldini have made that comment, but neither TAA or Robertson fall into the Baresi/Maldini class and have to make tackles. Walker's tackling success rate is about 10 per cent higher than TAA and Robertson. TAA and Robertson regularly get dribbled past - and not to push the wide player where they want him. What TAA does when he comes away with the ball is hit the accurate diagonal and a decent free kick. Robertson hits a 'reliable' diagonal. But yes, if I ever bump into Franco, I'll say that Esteban suggested I raise something with you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.