Hopes for the rest of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. One thing I’m worried about is all our hopes being pinned on Foden. I agree he needs to play more given that the league has gone but I worry about him being seen as some sort of messiah. He will have good and bad games and I hope we aren’t too quick to get on the lads back when he has a bad spell.

Yep. I'd like to see him play a bit more as well, but there's a lot of people with a lot of easy solutions to an injury crisis and demanding a third season of perfection.

Chelsea lost 10 PL games the season they won it and finished 6th, behind Pardew’s barcodes. Just checked and they beat Napoli, Benfica, Barca and Bayern on their way to the trophy.

Laporte and Sane will be back by then as well. We can take on anyone in Europe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_Chelsea_F.C._season

Was thinking this myself....liverpool lost 14 games in 2005 and finished the league season on 58 points.

The only way we can prevent this season from being a total write-off is to win a cup and get Garcia and Foden fully bedded in, which means playing them at every opportunity. Would like to see a couple of signings brought forward to this January too and use the rest of the season to get them ready for next year like we did with Laporte.

In addition to that, make a decision on fringe/new players, if cancelo is good enough give him games, find a way to get a Leicester level of performance from mahrez more than once a season or cut our losses, find a formation that allows us to cope with Rodri’s lack of pace and find a way of playing differently when things aren’t going to plan. Liverpool have the most headed goals in the league yet have a front three just as small as we do and we have players that are capable of putting in a cross as good as their fullbacks or anybody else.

I don’t expect most of those to happen though. I fear we will continue as is, waste the season and be worse off come the summer

We have two natural young rookie CBs in Garcia and Harwood-Bellis.

We have two experienced CBs in Otamendi and Stones. So experienced Pep doesn't trust them and has to have a defensive midfielder drafted in alongside one of them to mentor and babysit them. Stones is regressing at an alarming rate and badly lacking confidence, that's when he's fit to play. Otamendi is an enigma we don't know what he'll give us from one game to another. Word class and schoolboy error moments, often in the same game. For such an experienced defender he lacks calmness and assurance and gets booked and sent off far too easily.

I think it's high time he reverted back to Ferno being a defensive midfielder and babysit the kids, Garcia and H-B!
Nothing to lose but potentially an outstanding CB pairing in the making. They will no doubt make mistakes but they will give it their all I think.

Do it Pep and do it in league games please, top 3 and automatic CL qualification is the realistic aim now.

As for trophies won. Beating the rags and retaining league cup will be sweet, so will retaining the FA cup.

Sometimes we have to go backwards to come forward and I'd like to see Foden start regularly and Tommy Doyle given valuable minutes in first team games.

It's far too easy to go and try to buy the ready made player especially a top class 'ready made' CB, and we've squandered a fortune in doing so. Bring on the kids.

Top four, ideally top three to avoid qualification, is the main priority.

Champions League looks like a pipe dream at the moment but it's a cup competition so you never know.

Domestic cups would be a nice bonus.

- Develop/test players out in the league, that also helps prepare for this season's CL and domestic cups.

- Prepare to sell a few players (especially from the back line: likely Nico, and Mendy...possibly Stones and maybe loan Angelino again, but may keep both/either for HG reasons)

- Prepare to pay insanely massive fees and get ridiculed by media and fans again for buying a CB and LB who can walk into the team, Dias/Koulibaly?? and probably one HG player: Chilwell

- Prepare to replace Silva with someone who can fight Foden and Gundo for time at the 8

- Prepare to buy a backup keeper

- Prepare for ridicule and torment from Liverpool fans and all of the media for being a "flop" this season "even after pending more than anyone else" and get the usual minimal to tainted or asterix level credit for any success from seasons past and predictions of Pep going to another club

I'm not having we can't beat the rags over 2 legs ffs, they are fucking shite. Beat those ****s, win both domestic cups and make good fist of it in the CL*.

*Although with our fucking abject defending I can quite easily see this being a carbon copy of Peps first season and we win fuck all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.