Hopes for the rest of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see foden playing and to be honest if it's a choice between foden and pep, I'd choose foden.

Yes, we've had a poor year injuries-wise but really and truly laporte is the key one. Which begs the question, why? Yes he is the best of the best but if we are happy to point fingers at the dippers for being totally reliant on VVD then we have to look at ourselves and wonder why we are so reliant on Eric. Pep has said that dinho was going to be playing CB whether Eric was injured or not so it's one key injury in defence that has completely snookered our season. Unusually poor planning from pep considering how successfully he rebuilt us after the 16/17 season. Losing Vinnie immeasurable. When you couple that with getting rid of Danilo (who did a job) and directly replacing him with a £60m right back who never plays you have to ask why wasn't that invested in another top quality CB?

We can't win the league every year, that's totally true but the nature of this season's capitulation is unacceptable imo and things have to be addressed. In the short term we have to get someone out to bring someone in due to the homegrown rule so January isn't going to be the shopping spree some people are hoping for. Silva, ota, possibly dinho, bravo leaving in June mean it will be a massive summer so we just have to get on with it and try to guarantee CL qualification as early as possible (which we will do, realistically)

And please, none of this "remember when we were shit" posts, we are a different club then with different revenue, players, owners and expectations. When you set expectations as a club, they have to be met or supporters have every right to question what's going on

I would personally like to see the integration of foden and Garcia into the the starting 11. I genuinely believe they are ready. We wont win the league or Europe but I think the other two trophies are certainly winnable.

• Top 4
  • Win FA cup
  • Win Carabao cup
  • Integrate Foden and Garcia fully into the squad.
  • Begin to integrate Harwood Bellis into the first team. Give him at least one start in the PL
  • Reach the Champions League Semi finals
  • Get Laporte back fit

Second and just one domestic cup seems regression after four trophies last season.

The board will have set Pep targets and I’m unsure these would have been sufficient. Instinct says he walks at the end of 2019/20. Time off and then Juventus.
Pretty much anything would have been a regression from last season. There was no way that was going to be repeated or bettered. Maintaining those kind of levels for 3 straight seasons is notoriously difficult.

Priority for me now is sorting out Pep's future. I really hope he stays but there's not much point if it's only going to be for one more season, particularly with the squad needing fairly major surgery.

I have no expectation for the rest of the season because we're misfiring and we play a high risk, high reward game. Greatest football ever seen if it comes off, shit if it doesn't.

Thing is, it's hard to tell which it is going to be from game to game for all the reasons listed and speculated on in the various threads. Liverpool know exactly what they are going to get from game to game. It's not very inspired but it is very effective.

I have hopes, though, for the rest of the season. Firstly, no more serious injuries, maybe pick up a trophy and consolidate top 4. Above all, I'd like us to actually perform in the CL and not go out with the pathetic whimpers we've seen in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.