Should we prioritise Champions League now?

Last night proved why we aren’t good enough to win the CL.

We don’t have the tactical nous or steely resolution at the back to beat top teams when we cannot dominate/control the possession.

I’ve always thought it strange that we don’t make a greater use of the counter-attack in certain situations. After all, KDB is the best passer in the PL and excelled at that style at Wolfsburg. Mahrez made his name in that system at Leicester and Sterling has the pace and trickery to flourish in that system.

Yet what happened yesterday at the perfect opportunity to try that system out? Pep takes off Mahrez and KDB and gives Wolves 30 minutes of attack vs defence.

Unless we move to a PlanB with a more solid defence we haven't got a cat in hells chance.
How about maybe deploying Walker in a CB role in a back three, utilising Cancelo at RB, having Fern and Rodri as holding defensive midfielders, then pick your remaining five outfield players and you've still got a solid attacking formation.

Any season you win silverware is a good season, assuming you don’t get relegated, which I think we will avoid this time.

All about the Carabao for me! Realistically, we don't stand a chance of winning the Champions League.

Agree with this. Unless we do something miraculous in the transfer window (i.e. buy two top class centre halves), then our focus should be on winning one of the domestic cups and securing a top 4 place. CL is way beyond our capabilities.

I’m beginning to have doubts now about Guardiola staying beyond this season - he looks a broken man who has run out of ideas and can’t get his team to perform consistently. Maybe we are seeing why he doesn’t tend to stay beyond 3/4 years at one club - his methods are too rigid and too exhausting to maintain by a group of players year on year. Solution is that he either moves on, finds new methods or we refresh the players significantly every season. Don’t know which one is the right option, but things can’t stay as they are now.

Personally, I think City now need to flex their financial muscles, but doubt if they will.

Any season you win silverware is a good season, assuming you don’t get relegated, which I think we will avoid this time.
Given our paucity of success between 1976-2011, then we should consider any season in which we win a pot to have been relatively successful. Our league form has been disappointing this year, but you can't really legislate for the run Liverpool are on. Getting past United in the Carabao semi-finals isn't a given, but hopefully we should have too much for them over two legs.

Given our paucity of success between 1976-2011, then we should consider any season in which we win a pot to have been relatively successful. Our league form has been disappointing this year, but you can't really legislate for the run Liverpool are on. Getting past United in the Carabao semi-finals isn't a given, but hopefully we should have too much for them over two legs.

Absolutely pal

If we 9nly win the league cup that will be 6 major trophies in 3 seasons out of a possible 12 on offer.

50 % of all the trophies available, and two charity shields, I can live with that.

But I do think consolidatiing top 4 but concentrating on a cup hat trick should now be the priority.

Agree with this. Unless we do something miraculous in the transfer window (i.e. buy two top class centre halves), then our focus should be on winning one of the domestic cups and securing a top 4 place. CL is way beyond our capabilities.

I’m beginning to have doubts now about Guardiola staying beyond this season - he looks a broken man who has run out of ideas and can’t get his team to perform consistently. Maybe we are seeing why he doesn’t tend to stay beyond 3/4 years at one club - his methods are too rigid and too exhausting to maintain by a group of players year on year. Solution is that he either moves on, finds new methods or we refresh the players significantly every season. Don’t know which one is the right option, but things can’t stay as they are now.

Personally, I think City now need to flex their financial muscles, but doubt if they will.
I have had concerns that Guardiola might leave at the end of this season, but his comments the other day (about not replacing Silva in the summer) make me think he will stay for at least one more season. As for the club spending this summer, Sam Lee has posted an article today saying we're looking at bringing in five players this summer but who knows if it's true.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.