Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, just realized we already conceded the same amount of goals as in the whole last season. What a monumental fuck up was the decision to not add a top central back this summer.

He's become extremely dull and predictable. Says the same thing in every press conference and every interview.

I miss unpredictable Pep.
So, are these 'new' quotes, or just a rehash of an old interview? There doesn't appear to be a link to any interview in the tweet.

The thing that I love / hate about football is that it's so heavily dependent on the philosophy of the manager and his personal system. There's few very total system tweaks based upon the personnel you have at your disposal. We haven't changed a single thing in our approach with Ferandinho out and Sane gone as far as I can tell. Our results are completely indicative of missing the most dynamic LW + DM available for Pep's system. Perfect players for that system. We run everything through the left side and haven't changed that...let's take a look at Raz's contributions in the prem so far...1583 minutes, 11 goals, 1 assist, 132 minutes per goal contribution. Let's take a look at Sane's from last season. 1867 minutes, 10 goals, 10 assists, 93 minutes per contribution. You can't just overcome the shortcomings of the data without finding replacements from elsewhere. We obviously haven't done that.

I'm not going to get into it but I think it's completely obvious just how more valuable Fernandinho is compared to Rodri.

Obviously throw in Laportes injury and Kompany's departure for added bonus to be fair.

Pep's completely on point when he says the players deserve all of the credit. Year upon year our players put up the same data and ultimately football is won via results and contributions. The 4 - 3 - 3 is completely dependent on getting major contributions from all 3 wide positions an Raz just isn't able to create for others on the left side. He does it incredibly on the right side which exacerbates the problem because you're replacing him with Mahrez and Bernardo who are miles off it from his abandoned position in terms of dynamism and chance/finishing creation.

I'll have him for as long as he wants to stay but we'll be struggling to win the CL and League without matching dynamic wingers on both sides that contribute equally in goals and assists. (Raz at 20 / 4 so far). I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not up for another rebuild, but we'll see. Our fullbacks aren't good enough, we'll need a world class LW, and a WC CB. We're probably only looking at about 20 goals from Kun next season as well.

It's not a dig on Pep or the players either. Sane is perfect for the left, Raz the right. Ferandinho was perfect at DM. You swap one and eliminate the other and loooook what happens! You can hate on data all you want but it tells you what will happen when you play a league format and not a single elimination tournament.

Edit: I've been arguing for years that the Striker position is the most overrated position in football. Liverpool is by far the best team in the world and Firmino is barely an afterthought. Link up, press, move, and create. The problem isn't Gabby. Look what Firmino adds...
1879 minutes, 6 goals, 7 assists, 144 minutes per contribution. 1510 minutes, 11 goals, 5 assists for gabby. Klopp pulled a blinder by utilizing the fullbacks perfect into the attack while ours contribute nothing. That's the real advantage.

Last edited:
Just another note and personal opinion. Pep's philosophy is all about grinding out the highest equity over the long haul and NOT in individual moments / games. When you're playing in a tournament vs a team you're better than at the 16 round, barely in the round of 8, and nearly equal or worse at 4 and 2 grinding out results and perfect play isn't good enough. You need to find moments of individual brilliance and outside the box thinking. That's trained out of our players (see Sane for example) and Pep is fundamentally opposed to doing that. It's for sure the best way to maximize long term results over the course of a season, but trying to do that against 4 teams with players of amazing quality will see you prone to upsets and his CL history shows that it's true.

I'm not a big fan of tournaments and personally I think Pep's approach is how football should be played but in that format it's a shortcoming for sure. I think he knows that's a flaw because he's always looking for excuses when it comes to the CL.

FWIW I still think he's superior to Klopp. Pep had his players at Barcalona that were absolutely perfect for him and Klopp has that now at Liverpool.

Why is Pep always putting us down?

It's called getting your excuses in early.

In any other walk of life, if your boss talked you down in public, constantly said you weren't good enough to get to the top of your field, constantly said your competitors were bigger and stronger than your company, and to top it off constantly insulted your customers he or she would be dismissed.

If any other city manager of the last 40 years had done so he would be chased out of town by us the fans, never mind the board.

If pep had spoken like this so consistently about Bayern or barca he would have been dismissed.

If City continue to take this sort of insult lying down it will become a self fulfilling prophecy, as it has done so already.

He took over a team that was old and stale but had just been managed to a semi final and lavished hundreds of millions on new players. He has been given every conceivable advantage. His wish is the clubs command. And yet he has undoubtedly taken us backwards in Europe. We have done very well indeed in the league and domestic cups which will - correctly - buy him time but, honestly, I think the club should warn him about these comments and if they happen again he should be dismissed.

I'm tired of seeing my club being managed by a man that quite obviously, and publicly, wants the world to know he thinks he is doing it a favour by agreeing to manage them.

Once more and he should be sacked. Very publicly. Some things are more important that domestic trophies. Self respect is one of them. This man does not respect this club.

Pep needs to read Brian Clough autobiography, and watch his press interviews, Pep would learn a thing or two.

I know its a different era, but the way Cloughie spoke to the press and gave his players energy to achieve the impossible, brings tears to my eyes, it really does.

The league has gone, it went ages ago, but Pep needs to have that positivity in his voice again, maybe he will if we beat RM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.