Guardiola rules out any January signings.

I think that Barcelona and Madrid don't have the same allure that they used to. City and Liverpool have superceded both at the top on the pitch. I'm not sure commercial appeal or prestige matter that much when the current top 2 in England are leaps and bounds ahead of them.

If Madrid came for De Bryune, I don't think he'd go. If they came for Mane or Salah, I also don't think they'd go at this point. Why would any Liverpool player leave the current team if they're at that level?

I remember plenty of opposition fans talking about Madrid poaching City's top players after the 2018 season. Nobody voluntarily left because I dont think any footballer who is getting game time ag the top club in the nation would want to leave.
Tradition still reigns.

M'Bappe, for example - considering Us or Liverpool as possible future clubs... I honestly don't think so. M'Bappe is dead-set on Madrid, but might consider Barca. Other than that, forget it. All due to past performances of these clubs.

A past example... Ronaldo - huge future ahead of him in the best P/L club of the time - dropped that in a heart-beat for R. Madrid - perhaps culture/language had sway there.

2nd example
Bale - English speaker - pick of his clubs in world football - where did he go - R. Madrid.

3rd example
Modric
Ditto choice of clubs just as Bale. Where did he go - R. Madrid.
====
Although the allure of R. Madrid/Barca may be dwindling - I fully expect that the best footballers in world football will hold out for contracts at one of these two clubs for the most part.

K. M'Bappe for example of a current top footballer? PSG for life - no way! What club then?... R. Madrid for sure, but would probably go to Barca if that doesn't work out. Liverpool/City? - no way.

Last edited:
Mendy hasn't gotten to the same level that he started his City career with. He just hasn't been the same after a lot of injuries. Cancelo was also an odd transfer but it was an upgrade from Danilo.

I agree with your point in general. The board will look at Liverpool and think the same. It isnt about spending on just about anyone. They will need to make sure that they make smart signings, which fit in with the way the team likes to play.

Things will be fine. The core of the squad is world class. A few minor adjustments and the team will be back on top.
Exactly my thoughts, just a few more tinkering and we are good to go, injuries played a huge part as well. The only positive I'm getting out of this season is, that I'm hoping this will trigger the owners and pep to much better next season. I'm looking at major changes next season.

Exactly my thoughts, just a few more tinkering and we are good to go, injuries played a huge part as well. The only positive I'm getting out of this season is, that I'm hoping this will trigger the owners and pep to much better next season. I'm looking at major changes next season.
So tinkering or major changes?

Tradition still reigns.

M'Bappe, for example - considering Us or Liverpool as possible future clubs... I honestly don't think so. M'Bappe is dead-set on Madrid, but might consider Barca. Other than that, forget it. All due to past performances of these clubs.

Yeah but I'm not even sure Barcelona is considered a more prestigious club historically than Liverpool. Madrid is a different case altogether as they're in the top tier by themselves.

I'm not completely sure there's that much of a difference between Barcelona and liverpool, historically speaking.

A big part of the allure there is that they pay wages that nobody else can. Liverpool aren't going to pay wages commensurate to those that the Spanish giants do. Neither do City if I'm not mistaken. Barcelona's wages/turnover is perilously high and they have players on much higher contracts than they deserve.

Yeah it's got to be one or the other. I'm in the camp that thinks that a few essential additions are all the club needs. It's never as drastic as most people think.

Yeah but I'm not even sure Barcelona is considered a more prestigious club historically than Liverpool. Madrid is a different case altogether as they're in the top tier by themselves.

I'm not completely sure there's that much of a difference between Barcelona and liverpool, historically speaking.

A big part of the allure there is that they pay wages that nobody else can. Liverpool aren't going to pay wages commensurate to those that the Spanish giants do. Neither do City if I'm not mistaken. Barcelona's wages/turnover is perilously high and they have players on much higher contracts than they deserve.
Good point - a primary part of the Barca/Real allure is salary.

Haha, you got me there, the core of the team, is strong, a partner for laporte, a left back, and if sane leaves, another winger. Not sure if this is major changes, depending on the personal we buy, are we buying for first 11 or just for competition.

Tradition still reigns.

A past example... Ronaldo - huge future ahead of him in the best P/L club of the time - dropped that in a heart-beat for R. Madrid - perhaps culture/language had sway there.

2nd example
Bale - English speaker - pick of his clubs in world football - where did he go - R. Madrid.

3rd example
Modric
Ditto choice of clubs just as Bale. Where did he go - R. Madrid.
====
Although the allure of R. Madrid/Barca may be dwindling - I fully expect that the best footballers in world football will hold out for contracts at one of these two clubs for the most part.

K. M'Bappe for example of a current top footballer? PSG for life - no way! What club then?... R. Madrid for sure, but would probably go to Barca if that doesn't work out. Liverpool/City? - no way.

Just saw these examples. You're right about Ronaldo. And that backs up what you're saying. He left a better team for Madrid. Having said that, he has always stated that his mother's dream was for him to play for Madrid. If true, that would put that move in context.

Bale and Modric were in a slightly different situation in my opinion as they were moving from Tottenham to Madrid. There is a huge gulf between the teams as far on the pitch success goes. It doesnt necessarily mean that prestige was the reason they jumped ship, but that might well have been the case.

Maybe you're right. We'll see. I just don't think that the Spanish giants are the be-all,end-all that they used to be.

Net spend is the wankest, weakest, sad use of an excuse to pretend your club hasn't heqvily spent to secure silverware.

A good squad stays together for years and so most players value drops as they end their careers.

If this scouse squad do become regular trophy winners each season it will be kept together and unlike seasons before they won't flog off assets, mainly as they asked to leave to win trophies, net spend will become something of the trophyless years.

All that counts is the scousers were falling short each year so spunked loads of money on a goalie, probably the best centreback in europe at the momment after the previous 2/3 years spending over 90M on a forward 3 and 40M and 48M on new midfielders

Selling on courtinho masks that they have spunked loads of money on this trophy winning team and I have no idea why scousers cannot be honest about it.

You have to do it to compete and I am fine if we spend a shitload in the summer to address our problems if we can balance it on the books, the wierdos need to stop lying to themselves like their team is some team build.on a pittance.

As for January I do think knee jerk CB signing would be a mistake, if laporte returns to boost us I think we can wait and buy right rather than buy quick and regret it as previously.

Blood the lads in league games now and concentrate on the cups.

But this is the problem, signing a CB right now shouldn't be kneejerk; we should have had a list of CB targets this summer since Kompany announced he was leaving and Otamendi flirted with leaving and only added to the list as the season has gone on. We had this ridiculous 'Maguire or bust' attitude this summer and not signing a CB now is just poor-planning not us avoiding being reactionary. I do think that, while the whole net spend argument is played out, the club needs to be more astute in the market and avoid these 40m+ fees for seemingly every first team player. It leaves us in a bad situation when certain players aren't up to scratch and we have a very poor history in selling players. To this day I don't understand why VVD was not picked up after his time at Celtic when we had scouts present to watch Denayer play. While our scouting team can identify these players as it did with Soyuncu before he moved to Leiciester, there seems a reluctance to take the risk of purchasing less valuable players.

Reactions: cjn
But this is the problem, signing a CB right now shouldn't be kneejerk; we should have had a list of CB targets this summer since Kompany announced he was leaving and Otamendi flirted with leaving and only added to the list as the season has gone on. We had this ridiculous 'Maguire or bust' attitude this summer and not signing a CB now is just poor-planning not us avoiding being reactionary. I do think that, while the whole net spend argument is played out, the club needs to be more astute in the market and avoid these 40m+ fees for seemingly every first team player. It leaves us in a bad situation when certain players aren't up to scratch and we have a very poor history in selling players. To this day I don't understand why VVD was not picked up after his time at Celtic when we had scouts present to watch Denayer play. While our scouting team can identify these players as it did with Soyuncu before he moved to Leiciester, there seems a reluctance to take the risk of purchasing less valuable players.

Well we didn't and lamenting the fact ain't gonna change it, we are 3rd which though disapointing isn't the end of the world and have 3 cup competitions to complete for.

Not replacing Kompany was a mistake, we have suffered from it (because of laporte loss) but we just brush ourselves off and plan for the future.

I for one can live with the situation and trust the club to sort it out, it could be a lot worse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.