Guardiola rules out any January signings.

Well we didn't and lamenting the fact ain't gonna change it, we are 3rd which though disapointing isn't the end of the world and have 3 cup competitions to complete for.

Not replacing Kompany was a mistake, we have suffered from it (because of laporte loss) but we just brush ourselves off and plan for the future.

I for one can live with the situation and trust the club to sort it out, it could be a lot worse.

It's not about changing the past but learning from those lessons. We now face a situation where we'll struggle to offload certain players and that's because of the fee attached to them; if we're more astute and pragmatic in the future so we don't have a repeat situation.

I get where you're coming from and I'm generally able to brush it off because it's the peaks and troughs of football; to expect 3 PLs back to back to back was a ridiculous thing to hope for in the first place. I just hope in future transfer windows we can alter our strategy slightly so we can marry our signings of high value with more pragmatic moves e.g. the Zinchenko's of the world.

But this is the problem, signing a CB right now shouldn't be kneejerk; we should have had a list of CB targets this summer since Kompany announced he was leaving and Otamendi flirted with leaving and only added to the list as the season has gone on. We had this ridiculous 'Maguire or bust' attitude this summer and not signing a CB now is just poor-planning not us avoiding being reactionary. I do think that, while the whole net spend argument is played out, the club needs to be more astute in the market and avoid these 40m+ fees for seemingly every first team player. It leaves us in a bad situation when certain players aren't up to scratch and we have a very poor history in selling players. To this day I don't understand why VVD was not picked up after his time at Celtic when we had scouts present to watch Denayer play. While our scouting team can identify these players as it did with Soyuncu before he moved to Leiciester, there seems a reluctance to take the risk of purchasing less valuable players.
A little out of topic, who do you think we will get? Knowing pep and our style of playing, he would want a defender who can kee the passing flow, hence why he went for stones and keep playing Fernandinho there as well. Soyuncu seems to have great pace and his passing is also good, koulibaly is also great and his passing is super underrated but would cost alot.

Good point - a primary part of the Barca/Real allure is salary.

Until we match that or at least pay more than scousers/utd/chelsea, including agents' fees then we may have to get used to more seasons like this one. Other top clubs buy who they need don't baulk at the fees/salaries involved. If we continue to, inexplicably given we're supposedly the second most valuable sports franchise in the world, then we'll miss out on the few players good enough to improve us.

Youd be embarrassing yourself with that. We bought Mendy for 50 million, Walker for 50 million, Cancelo for 30 million plus Danilo which would account to 60 million in total. They got Robertson as a swap deal with hull by selling them one of their youth player. This is a small example, I'm not even going to other positions yet. VVD and allison was bought after coutinho was sold. I don't know man, you just have to give it to them, they have made some shrewd business deals.
yeah, all stole from our hacked transfer target files. We got 1 million in hush money. :-)

Youd be embarrassing yourself with that. We bought Mendy for 50 million, Walker for 50 million, Cancelo for 30 million plus Danilo which would account to 60 million in total. They got Robertson as a swap deal with hull by selling them one of their youth player. This is a small example, I'm not even going to other positions yet. VVD and allison was bought after coutinho was sold. I don't know man, you just have to give it to them, they have made some shrewd business deals.

We won the league with Clichy, Sagna, Kompany, Hart and Zaba in the squad - sum total spend roughly under £20m. Also bought Yaya, David and Aguero for roughly what they paid for Van Dijk. Now that’s what you call shrewd business.

We won the league with Clichy, Sagna, Kompany, Hart and Zaba in the squad - sum total spend roughly under £20m. Also bought Yaya, David and Aguero for roughly what they paid for Van Dijk. Now that’s what you call shrewd business.
Lol, in today's market, each of those players would demand at least £100m each. You can't compare what we paid 10 years ago to the fees going around today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.