TV detector vans

Thinking of sacking mine, don't watch TV much and when I do it's normally Netflix type stuff (not Netflix), so what am I allowed, and what am I NOT allowed to watch, either tv or PC ?
From their website:

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

So, basically they say you need it for pretty much most things. I can't think of scenario where you'd be able to watch BBC channels and not need a licence now, maybe if you record a repeat but not on iPlayer?

Not sure why we need a license to watch the likes of Amazon prime on a computer though, especially as it is the BBC that get the money. Even less sure of how they could ever track it legally, the recent live football shown by Amazon would need a licence to watch live but I bet many would not know that. They won't prosecute, they can't. Although, maybe that is why Amazon delayed the stream by about 20 seconds!

Just totting up what our household has watched from the BBC in the past year or so. The missus and daughter watch strictly, the Attenborough nature programs, peaky blinders, Simon reeve and Sue Perkins travel documentary things, the occasional CBBC programme for the little one... None of it live... So, 5 or 6 programmes would cost me over £150! Oh, and they watched Moana over Christmas at a friend's house, so what 3.99 equivalent price to rent on YouTube or somewhere?

In contrast I could get access to Netflix and Amazon prime telly for a year for the same cost approximately, have access to far more original programming and flims, football now too, on demand.

The BBC offer just isn't attractive to me and to many, doesn't give value for money on a competitive market, and has to come to an end soon.

And none of this sentimental "BBC's an institution" crap that they'll likely spew out when it does come under proper review. Maybe that was true when people watched the moon landing or world cup triumph on the BBC and have held dearly since, but for generations since then the BBC has had its name dragged through the mud countless times.

From their website:

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

So, basically they say you need it for pretty much most things. I can't think of scenario where you'd be able to watch BBC channels and not need a licence now, maybe if you record a repeat but not on iPlayer?

Not sure why we need a license to watch the likes of Amazon prime on a computer though, especially as it is the BBC that get the money. Even less sure of how they could ever track it legally, the recent live football shown by Amazon would need a licence to watch live but I bet many would not know that. They won't prosecute, they can't. Although, maybe that is why Amazon delayed the stream by about 20 seconds!

Just totting up what our household has watched from the BBC in the past year or so. The missus and daughter watch strictly, the Attenborough nature programs, peaky blinders, Simon reeve and Sue Perkins travel documentary things, the occasional CBBC programme for the little one... None of it live... So, 5 or 6 programmes would cost me over £150! Oh, and they watched Moana over Christmas at a friend's house, so what 3.99 equivalent price to rent on YouTube or somewhere?

In contrast I could get access to Netflix and Amazon prime telly for a year for the same cost approximately, have access to far more original programming and flims, football now too, on demand.

The BBC offer just isn't attractive to me and to many, doesn't give value for money on a competitive market, and has to come to an end soon.

And none of this sentimental "BBC's an institution" crap that they'll likely spew out when it does come under proper review. Maybe that was true when people watched the moon landing or world cup triumph on the BBC and have held dearly since, but for generations since then the BBC has had its name dragged through the mud countless times.

Cheers mate, not watched any BBC channel, iPlayer etc etc in a couple of years, only use a firestick and stream the odd match on the PC.

There aren't any detector vans, the officers who used to check went door to door and ask if you have a licence. At which point if you couldn't provide one, had a tv aerial and a tv in the corner of the living room they'd recommend you get one or be liable for a fine.

Rubbish again!
There were no “officers” merely civil servants.
Anyone stupid enough to answer the door to them is under no obligation to provide anything at all and can quite cheerfully tell them to fuck off.
And Possession of a tv and an aerial is not an offence!

A girl who lives near me was threatened with prosecution because she did not have a TV licence for her 2nd home Said she needed a licence for each property she owned.. Can you imagine the shock when she invited the press to her house as it was still a building site with no electricity as yet. The Northern Echo printed the story and she received an apology

if you do watch live programes on your PC,laptop you do need a licence however its worth remembering TVL or Capita do not have the legal powers to inspect a computer like they do with a TV set, if you simply refuse them inspection you are not obstructing and they can do nothing,,the TV resistance site has everything anyone needs to know and offers advice etc,,the golden rule is no contact and thats even if you do not require a licence because you have no TV, all you are doing when you contact them is confirming your address is live and then they will pester you, if the goons call simply slam the door shut and never sign anything, they have whats called 178 forms and will con you for a signature they will say can you sign this to say ive called 'all very nice' they will fill the rest in later and you will be in court with a false admission, all sounds a bit far fetched but its been proved many times

My daughter was issued with a court summons earlier this year - the bloke knocked on the door and he could hear the TV was on and he said "you are watching TV and she said yes.... " but she was watching CBBC via iplayer on playback not live and hooked up to the TV via laptop. She didnt get to tell him that as she was caught off guard and he cleared off immediately. Two weeks later she got the summons. She was crapping it and i told her to say what happened. The bloke didnt enter the house or ask any further questions.
Turns up in court and case dismissed as he had left the job so no witnesses!
She had her ariel removed and notified them of this.

if you do watch live programs on your PC,laptop you do need a licence however its worth remembering TVL or Capita do not have the legal powers to inspect a computer like they do with a TV set

Good morning Marco, TV licensing staff are employed by the private firm Capita on the Beeb's request. Although they are described as enforcement officers they do not possess any official powers of arrest and neither do they have any legal power to inspect a TV without permission. Also TVL wont take out a warrant as they cost far too much money and much more than the licence itself and besides it's their policy never to make a forcible entry. If you answer the door and you do not recognize the caller politely ask them to state their business. Do not confirm your name or whether you are the legal occupier and if they are a capita sales agent then simply smile and close the door. Some people may espouse that if you have nothing to hide then simply let them in to check but why should a householder have to prove innocence which is contrary to the basis of English Law. We are all innocent until proven guilty and we should not be bullied or harassed with threatening junk mail into inviting a stranger into our home to prove our innocence.

Here is a very nice video showing a very polite householder correctly exercising his rights to an even more politer Capita field agent. It's nice to be polite

Should a cat be eating spaghetti ....great tune.

Years ago lived in rented accommodation and risked not getting a licence. About 9 one evening heard the letter box click and there was a letter demanding payment. Stuck head out of the door and no van or anyone in sight. They found out somehow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.