Is Pep the greatest?

He is , but i think the question mark will be removed if he wins the champions league with us or later.

Mainly coz i have seen it being attributed tk the playeta he had at barca with messi, iniesta and Xavi

As long as he's in charge of a contending team, he has a good chance of winning. Sometimes, you lose in the UCL because of bad luck since it's a 2 legged tie. Bayern outplayed Atletico in 2016 and would have gone on to win 99 times out of 100 had the tie been repeated. Missed penalties. Posts. One on ones. But that's football.

Last year could have gone differently had the Sterling goal stood because we would have been favoured against Ajax.

It's been disappointing in Europe since Barcelona for Pep, but the Champions Leage is a very difficult trophy to win. The stars have to align.

Let's see what happens over the next 2 years.

As a fervent blue I fuckin' hated him in charge of the rags mate. I have since mellowed. And as an unbiased football fan It pains me to admit that I have a begrudging respect for the success he has achieved in the game as a manager, especially being a successful manager for the rags for so long.

Agreed. Look at their team compared to ours in 2013. As much as it still annoys me that they won it by a mile due to our inefficiencies I don’t think that happens if they had another manager.

why is it ALL about the champions league though and not a collective of trophies, records broken, style etc?

I completely agree with you. But that has nothing to do with his point. All he was saying was that Guardiola has been disappointing in Europe since Barcelona. That isn't even slightly controversial. I think Pep would agree.

But as you said, only an idiot discards what he has done domestically. Theres more to being a manager than winning the Champions League.

He is an incredible manager and we are blessed to have him. It is almost impossible to compare the greats, though I think most people have an idea who would enter the arena.
It is easy to say that Ferguson is one of the best because he had such success over a long period. It is also easy to say that he dominated the game domestically as he had the greatest resources available and broke the transfer record continuously. He also had a relatively poor European record given the domestic dominance he had and was utterly battered when he came up against Pep's Barcelona team.

Agreed. Look at their team compared to ours in 2013. As much as it still annoys me that they won it by a mile due to our inefficiencies I don’t think that happens if they had another manager.
Largely helped by Van Persie's goals. Had he chose to sign for us, Mancini would have won the title that season.

I think Fergie ran the squad down before he left, and Moyes sacking Fergie's backroom staff to install his own was fateful. Still largely a shambolic squad nowadays consisting of players from 5 different managers. Long may their demise continue.

As for Pep, I really hope he stays and brings several of our promising youngters through to being established first teamers at City. I can't see that happening until gets the pressure of the CL monkey hanging on his back. If and when we win it then the pressure is lessened, but we have to be careful that players with the quality Sancho and Diaz don't get frustrated and want out.

I've read quite a few comments made by opposition fans in the papers regarding Pep Guardiola as a "chequebook manager". They have a valid point. Until he stops buying the ready made players and integrates youth with established first teamers as fergie has done so many times, Pep is playing catch up if he is to become regarded as the greatest. But that is my opinion.

Probably impossible to say greatest ever too difficult to compare eras and trophies, influence same with players.
But if you were picking the top 10 ever in no particular order he’d be in there.

He is an incredible manager and we are blessed to have him. It is almost impossible to compare the greats, though I think most people have an idea who would enter the arena.
It is easy to say that Ferguson is one of the best because he had such success over a long period. It is also easy to say that he dominated the game domestically as he had the greatest resources available and broke the transfer record continuously. He also had a relatively poor European record given the domestic dominance he had and was utterly battered when he came up against Pep's Barcelona team.

Inaccurate. Liverpool spent the most during the 90s and there were plenty if seasons in which Ferguson was outspent. By Blackburn. By Newcastle. By liverpool. You name it.

When Mourinho came, he spent 3 times as much, net and gross, and it was Ferguson who eventually outdueled him.

The european criticism is similar to the Pep one and I think that's its inane. Pep is still the greatest manager alive. The fact that he hasn't been able to win it since Barcelona doesnt detract from his more salient accomplishments. His domestic dominance. I'm never going to give more importance to a cup competition than the league when it comes to ranking managerial abilities.

Probably impossible to say greatest ever too difficult to compare eras and trophies, influence same with players.
But if you were picking the top 10 ever in no particular order he’d be in there.

I think he has already come in at 5th place in the all time list released by L'equipe or 442, of the 100 greatest managers ever. And he's not done yet.

He needs to put City back on top though because the next year or two will go a long way in shaping his legacy. If he conquers Klopp and Liverpool, that's a big feather in his cap because it wipes away any argument of him not facing adversity.

Pep is the greatest manager at present - historically - I've not enough football knowledge go judge.

Largely helped by Van Persie's goals. Had he chose to sign for us, Mancini would have won the title that season.

I think Fergie ran the squad down before he left, and Moyes sacking Fergie's backroom staff to install his own was fateful. Still largely a shambolic squad nowadays consisting of players from 5 different managers. Long may their demise continue.

As for Pep, I really hope he stays and brings several of our promising youngters through to being established first teamers at City. I can't see that happening until gets the pressure of the CL monkey hanging on his back. If and when we win it then the pressure is lessened, but we have to be careful that players with the quality Sancho and Diaz don't get frustrated and want out.

I've read quite a few comments made by opposition fans in the papers regarding Pep Guardiola as a "chequebook manager". They have a valid point. Until he stops buying the ready made players and integrates youth with established first teamers as fergie has done so many times, Pep is playing catch up if he is to become regarded as the greatest. But that is my opinion.

The whole thing about Pep only be successful because he manages teams with big quench books etc is one of the last resorts critics have. Pep of course lucked out by having a young Lionel Messi at his disposal but his use of that resource, especially as a false nine against Real Madrid, is one of the things that sets him apart. He had fantastic players at Barca but he was the guy that turned them into probably the best football team ever seen.

He produced a City team that is one of the greatest English football has ever had; although those achievements seem, sadly, undervalued.

You hire Pep to manage elite players not to get Rotherham promoted - I'm pretty sure he could do that if he wanted to but why the hell would he and whether he could or couldn't just is not relevant.

I suspect that only when the dust has settled on his career will it be possible to put into full context just where he stands in the pantheon of great football coaches / managers. In the meantime, he has new challenges ahead of him if he stays at City and how he handles those will help shape his legacy in the game. This is a potentially fascinating time in his career and I hope we get to see it play out fully at City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.