Eric Garcia - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me what's special about him? There is nothing there, he is slow, not strong, very short to be a CB . The only reason he plays at all is because he's not Otamendi . He will never be a high-level player
Why are so many people on this forum fetishising height? Not sure if it’s insecurity or whatever (and I am not aiming this directly at you as it’s a debate I’ve already had on here with someone else), but Cannavaro is one of the best centre backs to have ever played the game and he was 5’9 on a good day. Similarly, Mascherano was one of Pep’s CB’s at Barca and he was perhaps even shorter than Cannavaro.

According to a number of different sources on the internet García is 6’0. He isn’t too short to be a CB. If a 5’9 CB can captain his national team to a World Cup and win the ballon d’or in the process (the last CB to have done so) then I don’t see how a 6’0 lad isn’t tall enough to be a CB, no matter what league he plays in.

Why are so many people on this forum fetishising height? Not sure if it’s insecurity or whatever (and I am not aiming this directly at you as it’s a debate I’ve already had on here with someone else), but Cannavaro is one of the best centre backs to have ever played the game and he was 5’9 on a good day. Similarly, Mascherano was one of Pep’s CB’s at Barca and he was perhaps even shorter than Cannavaro.

According to a number of different sources on the internet García is 6’0. He isn’t too short to be a CB. If a 5’9 CB can captain his national team to a World Cup and win the ballon d’or in the process (the last CB to have done so) then I don’t see how a 6’0 lad isn’t tall enough to be a CB, no matter what league he plays in.
Cannavaro had a ridiculous leap. As long as Garcia has the athleticism required to compete with the teams looking to make it physical, I would have no worries about his height. As you say there has been many small CB's in the world-class bracket, outside of those you mentioned you have Puyol, Baresi, Bobby Moore. Otamendi has his flaws but his relative short stature has never been one of them imo

He is very slow for an 18yr old
That is my biggest worry, much more than the height. I guess you can make the same argument for a lot of world-class defenders being slow, but in our current system pace at the back is needed.

Makes me wonder if he could be utilised in the pivot

Both JFE and Maguire aren't quicker either and they are 6'2 and 6'4". All Garcia has to do is sharpen his mind and that comes down to experience.

That is my biggest worry, much more than the height. I guess you can make the same argument for a lot of world-class defenders being slow, but in our current system pace at the back is needed.

Makes me wonder if he could be utilised in the pivot
I watched the hightlights of the game back just now and he couldn't catch a player even at what looked full pace,he is very intellegent for a kid though

He is very slow for an 18yr old

No pace to lose. He will need to build his career on reading the game. I think he’s going to be very very good watching him. Lots of people got excited about Stones but Garcia will be a much better player - has the potential to be a machine.

No pace to lose. He will need to build his career on reading the game. I think he’s going to be very very good watching him. Lots of people got excited about Stones but Garcia will be a much better player - has the potential to be a machine.
Stones had a lot of potential to be fair. Shame he hasn't fulfilled it, he's had his moments of looking like he would do.

Stones had a lot of potential to be fair. Shame he hasn't fulfilled it, he's had his moments of looking like he would do.

Stones had and has physical attributes but mentally he’s just not robust enough. Garcia hopefully has the mental strength required to succeed at the top - a fact so often overlooked. Watch Ronaldo - for all his physical prowess it’s his mental strength that sets him apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.