#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be getting a regular 30+ minutes now plus some league starts. No way would that weaken us.

There was an argument for more patience when Bernardo, Dave, Gundogan et al were all ripping it up. That no longer applies.

This way he’d be far better developing with us than taking his chances on a good or bad loan.

Last edited:
I get fed up with people comparing Phil's playing time with others of the same age. A post above compares him with Sancho & Haaland. Sancho is more physically developed than Phil (I'd guess at least a stone heavier) & Haaland is built like a brick shithouse. You can see in some games he still struggles a bit physically. I think this is the one thing which is holding him back at present.

I get fed up with people comparing Phil's playing time with others of the same age. A post above compares him with Sancho & Haaland. Sancho is more physically developed than Phil (I'd guess at least a stone heavier) & Haaland is built like a brick shithouse. You can see in some games he still struggles a bit physically. I think this is the one thing which is holding him back at present.
I disagree. Some players simply never get physically big. This may or may not be it for him size wise. He still has to go out there and play.

David Silva isn't bigger and has been dominating for over a decade.

Phil has serious Dog in him. Our press and intensity goes up 2 notches when he is in. Frankly Gabby, Bernado and Phil are the 3 most intense of our none defenders.

So all 3 should be starting most games. I bet teams wouldn't be lobbing balls over our defense with those three in the game harrasing the shit out of opposition defenses

Last edited:
That would make sense if there was any evidence that a lack of physicality is hampering his play, which it is not. Especially silly considering the man he's replacing is noted physical specimen David Silva. If anything his energy and legs in the midfield have only helped us when he's come on.

The other thing to consider is that, barring any surprises, he's pretty likely to miss out on the Euros. While many on here don't care/want him to go, he definitely does, and you're kidding yourself if you don't think he's going to be upset to see guys like Mason Mount and Jack Grealish, players of his age that he's better than, go while he sits home. This kind of stuff matters to players and we should make sure we give him a fair shot at making the squad.

That would make sense if there was any evidence that a lack of physicality is hampering his play, which it is not. Especially silly considering the man he's replacing is noted physical specimen David Silva. If anything his energy and legs in the midfield have only helped us when he's come on.

The other thing to consider is that, barring any surprises, he's pretty likely to miss out on the Euros. While many on here don't care/want him to go, he definitely does, and you're kidding yourself if you don't think he's going to be upset to see guys like Mason Mount and Jack Grealish, players of his age that he's better than, go while he sits home. This kind of stuff matters to players and we should make sure we give him a fair shot at making the squad.
Grealish is 24 and captain of his team,there is no point comparing phil to any one of his age because they are not trying to play in the best team in the land,if you play 2 games in red then you get into the england senior team,there must be more than playing time holding him back

Grealish is 24 and captain of his team,there is no point comparing phil to any one of his age because they are not trying to play in the best team in the land,if you play 2 games in red then you get into the england senior team,there must be more than playing time holding him back
God, time flies huh? Didn't realize he was 24 already. There's no conspiracy holding Phil back from the England squad though, he just hasn't played enough to get in yet. 149 minutes in the league so far this season.

He needs to develop and he needs to get used to actually playing games. Sitting on the bench pretty much every week or playing every month isn’t enough now.

He needs game time and a loan move helps with that.
Yeah, agree mate.
Im a big fan of Phillip, we're better when he's on. He gonna fuck off soon if Pep doesn't play him more. I wouldn't blame him, he obviously wants to play for England.
When David doesn't play Pep plays Bernardo centrally. And then Gundoghan trots on :(

And they also haven’t had players at de Bruyne/Bernardo/DSilva’s level ahead of them.

Loans can just as easily ruin players

Well the choice for Phil is - get to about 21/22 having barely played any football and risk stagnating and not developing

Or going out on loan, developing as a player and not sitting on the bench very week

For the sake of his development, career I’d leave. If he wants to play football he should leave as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.