Penalty Taker

Who should take penalties if Haaland is not on the pitch?

• Total voters
Loads of people on here used to say let Gundog take em he’s the best and I thought yeah right, better than Sergio - no way, just people buying into the old cliche about Germans and penalties. But boy was I wrong.

Loved his pen against Leicester. None of this slow prolonged run up shite trying to outfox the keeper followed by a powderpuff shot - he just picked his spot, took a couple of strides and clinically dispatched it into the corner. Brilliant in its simplicity.

Gundogan is not a bad shout but will he still be on the pitch to take (assuming we will get any more this season) if Aguero is out/off the pitch as well. I would tempted to give Gabby another go but a bit more practise is in order.
I would say Gundo is pretty likely to be on the pitch if Sergio's not. If he starts, he usually plays the full 90 - the reason he was getting subbed lately is because we had an extra substitution available with Aguero out. Now that Sergio's back, one of the subs (usually the first one) is always going to be Sergio off for Gabby. David will also need subbing off when he starts, and Kevin will too if the game's already won. Gundo also gets subbed on usually when he doesn't start. Obviously there will be a few minutes between substitutions where a pen could be awarded, but I don't think that's enough reason to not make Gundo second choice*. Gabby can be third choice since Kev's obviously not up for it.

*I actually think he should be first choice in away games cos Kun's penalties away from home have been atrocious, but I can't see Pep enforcing that system
He fancies his chances with free kicks from 20/30yrds (with the odd success) so why not take the pens from 12yrds with no wall
Completely different skill

What amazes me most about our penalty taking recently is that our lads seem so focused on their own run up and shot, which is one way to take them, but the likes of Yaya and Balotelli rarely miss because they wait for the keeper to move. It's all in his legs, a keeper has to shift his weight to one side depending which way he is going, it's very hard to hide as you'd need insane agility and strength just to change your mind in time. Far too many of our recent missed attempts you could see which way the keeper was going before we hit it.

But kudos to Ilkay, he scored in a CL final and is a reliable taker.

I'd rather have a corner tbh, more chance of scoring from that

We’ve had amazing penalty takers in the past. Did Elano, Mario and Yaya ever miss for us from the spot?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.