Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't think you are putting too much thought into that. I often refer to the use of a virtual back three where the DM drops in between the CB's as being something Pep loves to do and that I happen to rather like. If Mendy and Cancelo were pulling up trees, you can see that being a great option and one that would allow the likes of Sterling and Mahrez to attack from more central positions and even enable Jesus and Sergio to play together more often.

With Zin and Kyle offering the option to invert the full backs and have proper wingers (particularly Sane), Pep should have a squad that offers him huge tactical flexibility.

Injuries and, perhaps, Cancelo having difficulties settling in have limited Pep's options.
Agreed, I think this season compared to the last two we have been much worse at stretching the pitch. Both Mahrez and Sterling wants to be closer to goal, and is ineffective in their respective wide positions most of the time. Walker as you say, tucks in mostly to deal with counters.
We have zero width at the moment

Agreed, I think this season compared to the last two we have been much worse at stretching the pitch. Both Mahrez and Sterling wants to be closer to goal, and is ineffective in their respective wide positions most of the time. Walker as you say, tucks in mostly to deal with counters.
We have zero width at the moment

I wonder if that is down to how deep teams are sitting against us?

I wonder if that is down to how deep teams are sitting against us?
I agree its probably a factor, but the deeper they are the more vital the widht is. Precisely why I loved the formation sunday, because we could stretch them meanwhile still being able to get all our offensive playmakers into position where they can create things centrally

Reactions: OB1
No worry, I'm here lol

That is interesting, I'm pretty sure it says in his book(Pep confidential) that the first thing he planned to do was use Martinez as one of the centre-backs. I didn't know he played CB under Bielsa, but when he attracted a lot if interest he was certainly touted as a midfielder.

Anyway, I do remember Alonso tucking in as part of a back 3 in the gane at the Etihad when Sergio scored a hattrick.
Is that a role he deployed Alonso often in?
And do you think its something he would be likely to deploy Rodri more often in. I really enjoyed our 3421 on sunday, and really thought it got the best out of our players currently available.

Just needed to look into the match first as the whole setup of that match with Rode and Höjbjerg as CM and the substitutions seemed somewhat experimental. But Bayern already was qualified as 1st for the final stage prior to that match.

The number 6 falling back into the defense line in buildup and like that partially forming a 3 in the back is pretty normal for me at Bayern. Schweinsteiger did, Alonso, now Thiago or Kimmich.

I think that Bayern was a lot more flexible in formations during the matches than his other teams were, able to shift from one to another in seconds.

I even think that it was an advantage that not all players fitted exactly his style as this gave the play more tactical variety.

Rodri has the physical qualities and has also excellent foot play. I think he can be a great CB. I am interested to see if Pep tries it when Laporte is back and maybe Fernandinho will play as a DM.
Maybe in the summer we will need a new DM and not a CB :) . (I would bring CB anyway)

I even think that it was an advantage that not all players fitted exactly his style as this gave the play more tactical variety.

Yeah, I think you got a point there. Surely Muller was a player he tailored his tactic around to fit into the line-up? I have no idea how he would use a player like that in the systems he have used here. Maybe as one of the 2 in 3421?

Rodri has the physical qualities and has also excellent foot play. I think he can be a great CB. I am interested to see if Pep tries it when Laporte is back and maybe Fernandinho will play as a DM.
Maybe in the summer we will need a new DM and not a CB :) . (I would bring CB anyway)
Kompany was a midfielder when we signed him!

This is unlikely to happen. Rodri might play CB some but it's highly unlikely Dihno will play DM. Either they play CB together. He plays CV while Dihno is on the bench or Rodri and Gundogan are both injured and Dihno gets a makeshift gig at DM.

Why can't folks tell when a positional transition is afoot?

For all intent and purpose, Dihno is probably primarily a CB and only secondarily a DM going forward.

I agree its probably a factor, but the deeper they are the more vital the widht is. Precisely why I loved the formation sunday, because we could stretch them meanwhile still being able to get all our offensive playmakers into position where they can create things centrally

Yep spot on - add to that we are missing the raw pace that Sane gives us - off the bench or starting. One thing that makes defenders panic is leaving any space for someone with that kind of pace which in turn opens up areas for other players. Rodri and Kev also need players with blistering pace to both stretch the game and offer a different angle for through balls. Watch the twitter posts on superbia about this day in ... and you see how many times the likes of Leroy are involved with goals following such through balls. It's something we need to address to allow Rodri to really shine - if Leroy leaves we need a wide player with pace to replace him. I'd say that is one of the big things missing from previous seasons.

As a centerback he’s good when the play is in front of him. He steps out into space to intercept really well, he’s excellent with the ball and he’s physically strong enough to play the role. He is very well suited to transitioning into midfield when we’re in possession.

However, he is not (yet) great when he gets turned or when there are men running off his shoulder (which is understandable and also Fernandinho’s biggest weakness when playing at the back).

Also, Kompany was not a midfielder when we signed him. He played centerback pretty much his whole career prior to moving to City, Hughes just deployed him in front of the back four briefly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.