Yellow Shirt Arsenal Away 1989

I was at Highbury that day. Thought I has got the wrong match.
I was there too.horrible shirt horrible performance..we came crashing down to earth after beating utd 5-1...my first trip to Highbury .not a nice one.outclassed.

I worked at Umbro at the time and this was a bog standard kit used by amateur clubs, in boxes of 12 IIRC and selling at little more than £10.00 apiece wholesale .
The line was called Napoli and also came in sky blue with navy collar and cuffs and red with white collar and cuffs. This one was technically amber and navy (and was similar to Oxford United's shirt: https://oxfordkits.com/1985.html) which is why the yellow shorts and socks don't match - so not all-yellow!
The shirts were taken off the shelf and simply badged up.
But the point of this kit wasn't to wear it at Highbury, where there would have been no colour clash, but Hillsborough on New Year's Day where there would have been, given that the away shirt was maroon and white stripes.
Peter Swales was purported to have said we would never wear yellow again.
In the event, a new, more professional maroon kit was devised and worn at Hillsborough.
I was at Highbury on that infamous afternoon. However, I got there late due to a catalogue of travel mishaps and missed the kick-off but thought I'd somehow gone to the wrong ground!

I worked at Umbro at the time and this was a bog standard kit used by amateur clubs, in boxes of 12 IIRC and selling at little more than £10.00 apiece wholesale .
The line was called Napoli and also came in sky blue with navy collar and cuffs and red with white collar and cuffs. This one was technically amber and navy (and was similar to Oxford United's shirt: https://oxfordkits.com/1985.html) which is why the yellow shorts and socks don't match - so not all-yellow!
But the point of this kit wasn't to wear it at Highbury, where there would have been no colour clash, but Hillsborough on New Year's Day where there would have been, given that the away shirt was maroon and white stripes.
In the event, a new, more professional maroon kit was devised and worn at Hillsborough.
I was at Highbury on that infamous afternoon. However, I got there late due to a catalogue of travel mishaps and missed the kick-off but thought I'd somehow gone to the wrong ground!
Wonder how rare the all maroon shirt from the second half of the 1989/90 is , ie the one which replaced the maroon & white striped shirt and worn at Sheff Wed away ?
The updated version the season after didn't have the grandad collar (like the maroon/white striped shirt) but had a fold down collar.

Cheers BTH

I remember seeing us play burnley in a pre season friendly in the white kit. Lee Bradbury scored on his debut inside the first 15 mins and looked a world beater!! I thought we looked the bollocks in that kit and had the squad to get promoted. 9 months later we were in the 3rd tier ffs.
Always get shit from my lad whenever Badbuy comes up in conversation due to my comments about him being the business at that game.

Wonder how rare the all maroon shirt from the second half of the 1989/90 is , ie the one which replaced the maroon & white striped shirt and worn at Sheff Wed away ?
The updated version the season after didn't have the grandad collar (like the maroon/white striped shirt) but had a fold down collar.

Only proper shirt geeks know that shirt exists. I only know of one in a collection. it's extremely rare.

I lived in flats on top of the Arndale Centre and our window cleaner owned (and regularly wore) the number 12 shirt from this batch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.