Yellow Shirt Arsenal Away 1989

Ot but are those flats gone now?
Demolished four years after the IRA bomb as part of the general tidy up around Shudehill/Market St/Cannon St. Cromford Court, on top of the old Arndale Bus Station. I lived there for ten years. Northern Counties Housing Association flats. I was in my flat when the bomb went off, blew me out of bed, all the windows blown in, ceiling lifted off. On this link below in the first pic, the bottom window was my old flat. I looked out onto Shudehill.
http://www.theskyliner.org/blog-1/cromford-court

I'm sure many Blues will recall us running out at Highbury 14th October 1989 in THAT dreadful all yellow away kit which followed a 4-0 hammering !!! Paul Cooper and Gary Fleming in the City line up !!

This being the only time the shirt was ever used which was then donated by the club to a Sat/Sun team who used it well into the 1990’s.

Trying to trace a shirt for my collection although I think rocking horse s**t may be easier to track down. I've spoken to the manager of the side who used the kit who said they went in all directions once the team folded in the mid 1990's but I'm sure their will be one out there somewhere.

This shirt has become the holy grail for my collection with serious offer on the table in tracking one down.

81734948_10157683396555428_5610308714096492544_n.jpg
I remember this being discussed previously. Just found the thread. Pages 3 and 4 would indicate Blue Goon once owned a couple of these beauts:
https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/manchester-city-match-worn-shirts.310487/page-3

It wasn't a thing of beauty, granted. But compared to some of the monstrosities we've appeared in in the intervening 30 years, was it THAT bad? Orange, yellow/pink, grey with a narrow green/blue stripe down the middle, the red and black stripes with the weird design on the shoulders (around '96?). Even the Wembley' 99 kit. Forget the symbolic nature of the kit and the huge place that game has taken in our history; looked at dispassionately, that kit was awful. It too was yellow. Some will no doubt say the dark stripes softened the effect of the yellow in the shirt. To me, they actually made the shirt more garish.

I'm convinced someone will have one of these shirt stored away somewhere out there :-)

80702106_10157685644620428_5370332544623443968_n.jpg
Bishop,Alan Smith, Gayle,Rocky Rocastle and Ian Fleming...wonder what Var would make of this incident,looks as tho at least one player from each side has handled in the penalty area.
Gary Flemming looks as tho he is strutting his stuff on the dancefloor....and where oh where is the City keeper..no sign of him in front of a gaping goal.normal City chaos away from home,our defending in those days away was nothing short of comical.

.In little over 8 weeks Howard Kendall had taken over and instantly made our back4/5 organised and very hard to beat..not one of the above City players was anywhere near the 1st team...finished 14th iirc after slipping to the bottom of the league under Mel Machin.Alan Smiths understudy that day,Niall Quinn was soon to join us as part of Kendalls revolution...
Saw every game home and away that 89/90 season-loved it,kippax street stand season ticket holder,and part of a very noisy 'boisterous ' away day Blue crowd.Happy Days.

Last edited:
More of an orange than yellow this one, but have a look at this cracker of an away strip from our 1960-61 season
c66ba69fb26ece2b5024a0357255675c--denis-law-retro-football.jpg

I’d bloody love that as an away strip from Puma for next season. Orange (not that highlighter pen orange Nike and Le Coq Sportif did for us), with maroon trim and white shorts.

Belting!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.