#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the reason Pep has been reluctant to play Foden is that he didn’t really fit in to our previous 4-3-3 system. He’s arguably not that well suited to playing in the midfield three or as a wide forward hugging the touchline. Now that we’re playing a system that better accommodates him I’m hoping he’ll play more often than not

I wonder if the reason Pep has been reluctant to play Foden is that he didn’t really fit in to our previous 4-3-3 system. He’s arguably not that well suited to playing in the midfield three or as a wide forward hugging the touchline. Now that we’re playing a system that better accommodates him I’m hoping he’ll play more often than not

Completely disagree with you here. He's suited to play the 4-3-3 just fine and fits in perfectly as a free 8. Pep just wants to win everything possible and sees a slow progression plan as to how to bring Phil along. If you hate data just read the portion in bold and it's clearly obvious the boy is going to be an absolute star, beginning next season IMO. He's got goal scoring instincts that you just can't teach and his vision and creation will only keep getting better. I could see him potentially threatening 15-20 goals in the prem like Yaya did in 13/14 if things went his way when he's in his prime.

Check the numbers out for Phil under Pep:
EPL 29 apps 5 starts, 605 minutes, 1 goal, 2 assists. Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 201.
CL 11 apps 5 starts, 501 mins, 3 goals, 2 assts. Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 100.
League Cup 10 apps 8 starts, 753 mins, 2 goals, 2 assts. Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 188.
FA 4 apps, 3 starts, 285 mins, 4 goals, 1 asst. Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 57.

2017/18 Totals: 328min, 0g, 1a, 10app, 3 starts. Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 328.
2018/19 Totals: 1112min, 7g, 2a, 26app, 11 starts. Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 124.
2019/20 Totals: 781min, 3g, 5a, 20app, 8 starts. Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 98.

Total: 2221 min, 10g, 8a, 56app, 22 starts. Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 123.

@twosips we talked earlier at the start of the season and we agreed that about 1800 minutes would be a solid number to shoot for this season. I just ran some calculations and I think we'll end up somewhere around 1550. We could get to that 1800 number if Pep gives Phil a handful of starts in the prem to close the season out.

For what it's worth Phil is already putting up staggering numbers....KDB esque as a matter of fact with a solid sample size of 2200 minutes. Almost of a quarter of them being in the champions league too where he's adding a goal/assist contribution every 100 minutes so it's not as if he's completely stat padding vs the lower league cup teams.

KDB under Pep...
11970 minutes, 32g, 65a, Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 123.40.

Phil.
2221 minutes, 10g, 8a, Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 123.39.

Bernardo.
8776 minutes, 27g, 30a, Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 153.96.

Dave.
11916 minutes, 31g, 44a. Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 158.88

Gundogan.
9309 minutes, 21g, 20a, Mins Per Goal/Assist contribution 227.05

So where do the must loan him out gang stand now ? If we we had loaned him out say, this time last year where would he be on the evolution scale ? Sure he would have "game time" but I personally dont think he would be at the level he is now if he was around lesser skilled players and manager. The hothouse conditions he is being cultivated in, has to have been a better
football schooling than being shipped out to a lesser club where his development is not their priority.

He is progressing well and beginning to emerge as the real replacement for DS - exactly what we hoped he would become. In the clamour for appearances, it is easy to forget that he is just 19, slightly built, and trying to break into the first team of one of Europe's best teams.

Has had 8 starts so far, think he will have another 8-10 starts this season. At 19 to have in a single season 15-20 starts for one of the finest teams in the world is excellent. Foden is developing fine. Next season he is likely to have at least 25 starts if he is injury free.

In great form...would like him to start at united, but will be too much for him, I reckon 3 continous games

I love his work rate and the way that he grows into the game. The longer it goes on, the better he gets, and his stamina is fantastic.

This decade should belong to him as the most talented English player of his generation.

So where do the must loan him out gang stand now ? If we we had loaned him out say, this time last year where would he be on the evolution scale ? Sure he would have "game time" but I personally dont think he would be at the level he is now if he was around lesser skilled players and manager. The hothouse conditions he is being cultivated in, has to have been a better
football schooling than being shipped out to a lesser club where his development is not their priority.
It’s a total guess.

Had he gone to, say, Leeds for six months last season he may be further ahead of where he is now, he’d certainly have better longevity for games in his legs which both he and Pep have said he hasn’t got yet because of his lack of game time, but he might be further behind where he is now. Who knows?

But let’s not judge him - like last season at League 2 Newport - on yesterday’s game against League 2 Port Vale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.