Change VAR or.................

@Blue Llama .......... or maybe organise a song/chant without the 'offending' word?? I can't shout it as I only swear once in a Preston Guild. I usually change the wording e.g. Pablo Zabaletta he is a CITY man......... but with that one I can't really as it is just two words. :-)
The whole point is the offending word. Without it the broadcasters will not give a monkeys. The offensive part has to be loud, clear and obvious on the tv.

When needed there should be a real-time reply on the big screens. No slow mo, no lines drawn and the ref makes the decision. Managers should get one challenge a half and refs should only ask for a check if they didn’t have a clear view.

And those clubs without big screens should be kicked out of the league ;)

Football even as a product wasn't broken and they applied a fix (And I mean a fix) where a fix wasn't needed. We still discuss the errors VAR makes like we discussed the errors refs made, it was a cultural thing blaming the ref for bad decisions, now we have a faceless arbiter sat in a warm room sipping coffee with a set of gaming headphones on.
It needs binning in all of it's guises.

So where and how do you draw the line?
You either adopt a subjective approach and apply the test "Would you expect a competent official to have spotted this?" or one that says if it's not obvious that the onfield call was wrong within a couple viewings/20 seconds then the call stands.

Or you have a ' clear daylight' test that involves all the attacker's body being in front of the second last defender.

@Blue Llama .......... or maybe organise a song/chant without the 'offending' word?? I can't shout it as I only swear once in a Preston Guild. I usually change the wording e.g. Pablo Zabaletta he is a CITY man......... but with that one I can't really as it is just two words. :-)

p.s. I do not object to anyone else swearing it is just an idiosyncrasy of mine! As I say to the lads when they apologise for swearing, I don't care as long as you don't make me say it. :-)

Try 'Stuff VAR'?

Before VAR (in it's current guise), how would we have felt had the linesman flagged for offside? He could have done as both decisions were that marginal. How would we have felt had the tv review shown them to be on-side?

It's not the system that's at fault here per se but the way it's being implemented thanks to our friends Riley and Swarbrick. Do as other leagues do and allow the ref to ref by using the monitor and for any decision that he is making to be shown on the screens thus informing the crowd as we dont know what the hell is going on at the moment. Let the ref, ref ffs.

Should the above not happen, I can see crowds dropping off and certainly season ticket renewals being hit which is when they may take notice but by then it's too late. Should this happen then Sky and BT won't be happy either as it's one of the things that sets us apart from other leagues ie sell out crowds at most games which 'create' the atmosphere for the armchair supporters wishing to tune in. And indeed, I imagine, why a lot of the top players wish to play in the Premier League.

Also, we keep pointing how how much better other sports are at using it. Having watched the rugby union semi final and final involving England, they still missed three forward passes that surely should have been picked up. To suggest all other sports are infallible to human and technological error is not true.

You shouted, swore, booed and the game carried on - and then you had something to debate with your mates in the pub afterward rather than everyone just having the same opinion which is VAR is just shit

VAR can and should work. It’s just not being utilised properly in the premier. Other leagues are using it way more efficiently.

The rules should also change to help officials use VAR properly. For example on the offside calls. Firstly officials shouldn’t be told to leave your flag down if you’re not sure, they should officiate the game as they used to as they are still the primary rule of law. Secondly VAR should only be used where there is clear and obvious error. If someone is mm offside and the linesman hasn’t flagged then the goal should stand. If he’s a yard off then the linesman should be overruled. We need a law change to make this clear.

I’d also personally like to see a way to limit VAR appeals. Rather than the officials checking everything maybe there should be a 3 appeal rule like in Tennis? And the team’s managers are responsible for raising the appeals?

Computer and video technology can totally help football but humans have to devise a proper system that doesn’t ruin the game as it currently it is. I’d vote we try and find that before scrapping it altogether.
I agree about the offside point in a way, but at what point does it become an obvious error? If it’s daylight, or as souness suggested any part is onside, surely that just shifts the goalposts to where they will be drawing their stupid fucking lines.

for me I’d like to see VAR completely scrapped for offsides. Yes we had a few shockers in the past before VAR, but they were few and far between and in general we moaned a bit but accepted them. Keep VAR for yes or no decisions, handballs, red card reviews etc, but pretty much all the controversy surrounds offside and it’s killing the game, so let’s just scrap it for offsides rather than shifting the goalposts.

Football even as a product wasn't broken and they applied a fix (And I mean a fix) where a fix wasn't needed. We still discuss the errors VAR makes like we discussed the errors refs made, it was a cultural thing blaming the ref for bad decisions, now we have a faceless arbiter sat in a warm room sipping coffee with a set of gaming headphones on.
It needs binning in all of it's guises.
It’s not a faceless arbiter though is it. It’s just another of the Pigmol puppets that regularly shaft us in full sight on the field. Var would be absolutely fine. It’s the incompetent/corrupt twats laughingly termed elite referees that need binned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.