Any One Bought Property abroad ?

SWMBO was diagnosed a few years back with a life-changing disease that means she will not consider buying a place abroad because of health-care concerns (we had considered it). In some ways I am quite pleased we hadn't already taken the plunge as I do like the idea of renting a nice place for the winter in different places so we see a little bit more of the world before we have to give up travel altogether....

a fuckin men to that.

Anyone else bought recently?

Looking for somewhere in the Costas with no high rise, lots of choices of bars and restaurants and old Spanish culture if possible. I love Menorca but flights are prohibitive both price and winter availability.

Looking for somewhere in the Costas with no high rise, lots of choices of bars and restaurants and old Spanish culture if possible. I love Menorca but flights are prohibitive both price and winter availability.

Best thing to do is go out a few times for a week or so on a recon mission to an area you think you'll like. Keep an open mind and don't leave your brains in the departure lounge. Get local knowledge and don't for one second believe a single word any ex pat 'estate agent' tells you, they're all lying bastards. Ask around the locals or local expats for any fincas or townhouses etc etc that may be for sale and dont sound enthusiastic or they'll nail you to the floor and empty your pockets ( metaphorically speaking ).If you search using the internet, try and approach the vendor privately. If you can buy without the Estate agent ( they will charge up to 10% commision ), so much the better, they will skin you alive, or try too. A lot of properties are advertised on supermarket notice boards or Ebay. Find your own abagado / notary ( solicitor) not one recomended, certainly not by the estate agent or vendor and make sure he speaks pretty fluent English. Did I mention about leaving your brains in the departure lounge.....
We bought 2 properties, 1 without agent and 1 with.... but sold the 2 via agents, the stunts they pulled, fortunately it only affected the purchasers and you will be non the wiser because you dont know the system.
Actually the solicitors can be a bunch of thieving bastard too and you'll get nothing done in August.

Orihuela Costa is a great option. 2 1/2 flight time, plenty of bars restaurants and beaches as well as culture within a short drive.
Some very good value properties available if you look around. I spend about 6 months a year here and love it.

Orihuela Costa is a great option. 2 1/2 flight time, plenty of bars restaurants and beaches as well as culture within a short drive.
Some very good value properties available if you look around. I spend about 6 months a year here and love it.
The amount of new builds going up around Mil Palmeras beach is unbelievable
There must be a MASSIVE amount of property for sale
My mate has an apartment in Torremendo (near San Miguel De Salinas) about 20 minutes from the beach
Over ten years ago he paid €100,000.
More than half the complex didn't sell, the builder went skint and the bank eventually took over.
They have finished the rest of the block, re painted the communal areas and the better apartments with roof terraces are now up for sale at €55k

The amount of new builds going up around Mil Palmeras beach is unbelievable
There must be a MASSIVE amount of property for sale
My mate has an apartment in Torremendo (near San Miguel De Salinas) about 20 minutes from the beach
Over ten years ago he paid €100,000.
More than half the complex didn't sell, the builder went skint and the bank eventually took over.
They have finished the rest of the block, re painted the communal areas and the better apartments with roof terraces are now up for sale at €55k
Bloody hell thats cheap. Cheap enough to take a punt at buying one on the hope they come back to life

Doubtful.
In Italy Nothing is selling.
There are towns that’ll sell you a house for €1 if you commit to doing it up and moving there...

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know what's been posted but buying these holiday homes abroad sounds like a ballache to me.
It's a great idea to spend chunks of time abroad but the way I would do it would be to use the money to buy a property in the UK and use the rental income to pay for accommodation abroad.
I know it's not always easy renting out property over here but at least you know what you are dealing with.

Bloody hell thats cheap. Cheap enough to take a punt at buying one on the hope they come back to life
They won't because there is too much available
One couple spent over €120k on a corner apartment with a roof terrace, so it is a larger space. Fitted the terrace out with an outside kitchen, installed satellite telly etc.
They put it up for sale for €80k for a couple of years and received no interest at all and now slightly smaller unlived in apartments are €55k
Two apartments on the ground floor similar to my friend's where the owners were desperate to move sold for around €35k

They won't because there is too much available
One couple spent over €120k on a corner apartment with a roof terrace, so it is a larger space. Fitted the terrace out with an outside kitchen, installed satellite telly etc.
They put it up for sale for €80k for a couple of years and received no interest at all and now slightly smaller unlived in apartments are €55k
Two apartments on the ground floor similar to my friend's where the owners were desperate to move sold for around €35k

They'll be a lot selling once Brexit comes into play ..... maximum stay in the Eu for a non Eu citizen is six months in any twelve month period.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.