Energy and Pace

We look completely mentally and physically shot this season.

Hopefully a major refresh to the squad in the summer will address this problem and we go again.

There is no direct evidence of them cheating but the fact they run more than us while rotating less and getting less injuries to boot raises suspicions. Agreed though, if their methods are perfectly fair, then we might expect that their superhuman fitness levels might drop and they might get injuries (which we don't wish them).

Pep is following Cruyff who insisted that technique trumps physicality. I like this philosophy. But Cruyff himself was a very gifted athlete, he was utterly explosive.So, while technique and intellect are utterly important, so is physicality. Pep knows it vey well but he will always prefer a slowish player like Gundy or Silva over a great athlete. That's part and parcel of his philosophy but we need a bit more energy and pace next season. Klopp's template is to have the fittest players even if they are technically limited like Henderson, Milner...But they are perfect for his approach which is more Germanic, as it were, whereas Pep's is more Latinic and centred around technique.
How can it raise suspicions without any grounds for it? Others teams are allowed to be fitter than us. We are not a benchmark for fitness that is unattainable by others. Is it really that surprising that teams run more than us and are faster, when we have flogged Silva and Aguero? And are bedding in Rodri? I don’t think it is. They have a younger squad and due to recent premier league history, they are now are more motivated team than us.

Have you seen their record over the last calendar year? Are you really denying that they are a great side?

They may have benefited from some dodgy VAR and referee decisions but it’s completely deluded to put their achievements down to corruption.
Rather than fall over yourself to praise the dippers, read my posts properly, I've acknowledged that they are very good team, you need to acknowledge what City have achieved over the last few seasons, then you will know what a great team is...... They have not achieved anything yet this season, bear that in mind, while you are at it .....

Nah, I didn't say they play better or as good as we did the previous two seasons. Maybe I didn't express myself well. Thing is we need a bit more energy and pace than we had in the first half of this season. Pep wouldn't sacrifice our style to turn us in a machine like team devoid of artistry, fantasy etc. In order to return to our levels from the previous seasons or improve on them we need to add a bit of physicality in terms of pace and energy. The likes of Laporte, Foden and Sane instantly give us more energy. Add to them 2-3 new signings in the summer and we are going again. If we need to replace Sane, then buy a pacy player.
Fair enough mate, this I can agreed with no problem ..

How can it raise suspicions without any grounds for it? Others teams are allowed to be fitter than us. We are not a benchmark for fitness that is unattainable by others. Is it really that surprising that teams run more than us and are faster, when we have flogged Silva and Aguero? And are bedding in Rodri? I don’t think it is. They have a younger squad and due to recent premier league history, they are now are more motivated team than us.

There are grounds for wondering what they do as no team in the world has comparable fitness levels. I don't mean the stats about individual games but the ability to play many games in a row without much rotation and without drop of intensity and quality and without injuries to the most used players. I speculated about the possible reasons in the Liverpool thread, reasons unrelated to cheating but to methods of training and recovering. I'm sure other clubs and their medical departments are a bit puzzled about how fit they are. But it might be due to secrets unrelated to cheating, of course.

Last season they played Barca twice and Newcastle over just 6 days and dominated physically all 3 games whereas Barca had a week rest prior to Anfield...and lost 4:0 being completely dominated the 2nd half. This season they have barely rotated from the final vs Flamengo (120 minutes) to Sheffield U, they are maybe the team with least rotation in the PL over Christmas. That's exceptional, I.e. not normal.

Last edited:

Especially ones that prioritise physical intensity over all else as the crux of their approach, and sign athletes to match.

I’m usually more than happy to take any opportunity to have a pop at them, but insinuations about cheating, with no supporting evidence, don‘t do us much credit.

Especially ones that prioritise physical intensity over all else as the crux of their approach, and sign athletes to match.

I’m usually more than happy to take any opportunity to have a pop at them, but insinuations about cheating, with no supporting evidence, don‘t do us much credit.
Also, their head of fitness, or whatever the title is is Lee Nobes who they took from us a few years back. So if we’re saying he runs a regime of cheating and drugs then we probably did it too.

Or, as is most likely, neither of us did/are.

Also, their head of fitness, or whatever the title is is Lee Nobes who they took from us a few years back. So if we’re saying he runs a regime of cheating and drugs then we probably did it too.

Or, as is most likely, neither of us did/are.

Think he was with us season 17/18. We had to play Liverpool twice and Man U over 6 days. Pep did significantly rotate the team but we lost all 3 games and looked jaded in the 2nd half with Man U and the 2nd leg vs Liverpool. We weren't as fit as this Liverpool team. Why they have better fitness levels is anyone's guess. The least reason is a guy leaving City for them.

Mind, maybe I'm just bitter. Hope we'll do better in the 2nd part of this season.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.