Change VAR or.................

Thought about this for most of the season, but the only way VAR works for football is if it is instant, or within a few seconds, otherwise it will always taint the game.

Scoring a goal is for me the best element of football, sure there are so many other elements to it but scoring a goal is THE moment football stands out from other sports. You go mad, hug people you don't know, even well up in circumstances. VAR ruins this, and any delay will result in ruining it imho. In cricket there can be 40 wickets, in rugby several tries, but in football scoring just one goal can change the whole game.

So we either go back to how it was, which I doubt will happen, or we have to use more technology to get it instant, or as near as. If a goal is ruled out by VAR immediately, like with an offside flag prior to VAR, at least we get to know immediately if we can celebrate goals again, exactly how goal line technology works.

What that means or how we achieve that isn't easy, I think we would have to digitise the game on to computer, using cameras or GPS, and allow the computer to make instant decision, like with goal line technology.

This throws up questions about how a CPU could differentiate between handball being deliberate or not, or offside interfering or not, so maybe we have to make the rules more simple. Go back to the old offside where you are just offside or not, and any handball being a free-kick.

I don't particularly like these rule changes, I'm just thinking of a way we can get back to celebrating goals again. If we don't we tarnish the best part of the game. There must be technology that exists that can give us an instant decision, even if we have to adapt some rules.

That's my two-pennyworth anyway. Get rid of it until technology catches up, or introduce more technology and tinker with some rules. Either way we have to get back to the point where you can go mental and start hugging strangers again!

Var , unlike goal line technology, still comes down to someone's opinion or interpretation of the law. At least with goal line technology it's definitive. Var often isn't and I'm not sure how you can change that. But one thing that must happen is the ref takes a look at the screen like they do in Germany and the CL. Otherwise there is no point having him there

I don't think that adds anything. If anything more pressure from the crowd and players to change decisions that might have been fine etc, it would only slow things down. I think the guidance needs to change, the lines for off side are daft (attackers should be given the benefit of any element of doubt so to me you would need to be half a yard offside on VAR before they call it). If every goal is reviewed we will get used to it but it does take too long- there needs to be a clear time limit on it - 1 min to spot something and 1 more minute to overturn a clear error. 2 mins max.

I'm in favour of VAR because I want to make sure that errors by officials do not decide the outcome of football matches. It's not necessarily because I believe it will work in our favour, but it's only a matter of time before it does in a high profile game.
VAR is an abomination, spoiling enjoyment of the people who matter. Unless they can have instant decisions like goal line technology it will kill the game. I’d much rather have a mistake go against City than suffer what we have gone through this season. It doesn’t work, and all the red herrings about how to measure offside or, going to monitors will make no difference.

Last edited:
VAR is an abomination, spoiling enjoyment of the people who matter. Unless they can have instant decisions like goal line technology it will kill the game. I’d much rather have a mistake go against City than suffer what we have gone through this season. It doesn’t work, and all the red herrings about how to measure offside or, going to monitors will make no difference.
No offense but this is exactly what the FA want, everything absolutely everything has been butchered by the FA for a reason, now if an independent group ran VAR would they not have stayed with `clear and obvious ` would not tight off sides be left with the Lines person?
All we need is an independent or even government run body that, the VAR officials are constantly assessed , as for the pitch side monitor, if a ref or more often with us over the last few seasons, a lines person fucks up they fuck up and get called up, there is no need for them to see a replay of it, that does in other leagues add 15 minutes or more to a game.
We just need to get VAR out of the FA`s control

But as we saw in the CL game with Spurs, if the ref doesn’t see all the available TV angles ( the angle from behind the goal couldn’t have been more definitive) even with looking at the monitor , they still get it wrong !!
CTID
Was that the Llorente one ?
Still irks me that they didn't continue to show that angle along with the others, it really did smack of pure out and out cheating.

Was that the Llorente one ?

Still irks me that they didn't continue to show that angle along with the others, it really did smack of pure out and out cheating.

Yes. In the ground we watched on the big screen the ref look at exactly the same footage time & time again on the monitor. When he decided to allow the goal he gestured to the City players that he couldn’t see the handball clearly. He was never shown on the monitor the angle from behind the goal which clearly showed the handball but UEFA said that was because he never asked to see that angle!

And they tell us we shouldn’t boo the anthem ! Totally corrupt as discussed elsewhere.

Expecting similar issues with VAR going against us tonight.
CTID

Yes. In the ground we watched on the big screen the ref look at exactly the same footage time & time again on the monitor. When he decided to allow the goal he gestured to the City players that he couldn’t see the handball clearly. He was never shown on the monitor the angle from behind the goal which clearly showed the handball but UEFA said that was because he never asked to see that angle!

And they tell us we shouldn’t boo the anthem ! Totally corrupt as discussed elsewhere.

Expecting similar issues with VAR going against us tonight.
CTID

That's atrocious on so many levels, I don't remember the commentary calling it out at the time either, which, if they were professional surely would have done, but then again, didn't Ian Cheeseman lose his job (gardening leave pmsl) for calling the officials out ?

For those watching on tv it does bring an added dimension, the theatre of it arguably makes the game more exciting, especially for the neutral. For the match-going supporter it is awful. Have had a season ticket for 17 years and am seriously thinking about not renewing.

The PL need to understand that without stadium atmosphere their product is massively diminished, and act accordingly.

But as we saw in the CL game with Spurs, if the ref doesn’t see all the available TV angles ( the angle from behind the goal couldn’t have been more definitive) even with looking at the monitor , they still get it wrong !!
CTID
That Llorente goal was not the wrong decision.

A goal will be disallowed if the ball goes straight in off an attacker’s arm, even if unintentional. The ball hit Llorente’s arm and then hit his hip and went in.

It was a fair goal.

Look at the Wolves’ goal against United the other day. It hit his head then hit his arm and went straight into the net.

That was the right call.

However the Jesus goal against Spurs was wrongly disallowed because the ball did not go straight in off Laporte’s arm, nor did he control the ball after it hit his arm and then set up a goal scoring chance or shoot himself.

The goal should have stood.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.