40 years ago today - 5th Jan 1980

Every blue not born then or not old enough to remember should watch that clip and thank their lucky stars they weren't old enough to remember!

You don't know you're born(as they say; )
I've spent years trying to forget my sole day out in sunny(!) Halifax but since message boards started some ****s keep digging it up! ;-)

State of that pitch...looks no better than the ones I played on as a kid (except that at least that one is flat - I played on ones that had visable slopes on them and the ball used to run away from the player if it was going down hill!!)....Orange slices at half time as well and sliding through puddles with bits of broken ice in them it was so cold - best days ever!
Imagine Deli Ali or Lingard playing in that haha

Every blue not born then or not old enough to remember should watch that clip and thank their lucky stars they weren't old enough to remember!

You don't know you're born(as they say; )
You're right. What a depressing day but TBH it was a result I could see coming the longer the game went on. I'll always remember the journey back - 4 of us in a car back to Failsworth and not a single word was spoken. Not a word. I never thought we could sink any lower than the Shrewsbury cup exit the year before but good old City had gone and done it on us. The current generation of City fans should really appreciate just what we've got right now and not get too arsey about defeats at the likes of Wolves. I most certainly thank my lucky stars that those dark days are now a distant memory.
Funnily enough, I ended up living near Halifax in the late 80's for a few years. Needless to say I got a bit of stick from the locals on a fairly regular basis.

Remember it well, it was the week after I put a spike into the ball of my foot.
Hobbled slowly from the Railway Station to the ground so got in late. Stood behind the goal slowly sinking into the mud (wet shale from the speedway track that ran around the ground) with the mud oozing into my shoes. left early and hobbled back to the Station. Got pinned against a wall at the station by the rear end of a police horse, it doesn't matter how hard you push they just don't move.

This would be the game where the Hypnotist Romark (I think) hypnotised the Halifax players to win in the dressing room before the game.

Tip. If your going to climb over spiked railings to avoid paying the entrance fee of 1 shilling, (Buxton Pavilion Gardens), do not put the ball/sole of your shoe on the spiky bit at the top railings then lever yourself up and over, This has the effect of pushing the spike through the sole of your shoe and into the ball of you foot. It also takes absolute ages for it to get better.

To all the WWYWYWS singers of brain dead opposition fans, we were there, trust me we were very much there!

Remember it well, it was the week after I put a spike into the ball of my foot.
Hobbled slowly from the Railway Station to the ground so got in late. Stood behind the goal slowly sinking into the mud (wet shale from the speedway track that ran around the ground) with the mud oozing into my shoes. left early and hobbled back to the Station. Got pinned against a wall at the station by the rear end of a police horse, it doesn't matter how hard you push they just don't move.

This would be the game where the Hypnotist Romark (I think) hypnotised the Halifax players to win in the dressing room before the game.

Tip. If your going to climb over spiked railings to avoid paying the entrance fee of 1 shilling, (Buxton Pavilion Gardens), do not put the ball/sole of your shoe on the spiky bit at the top railings then lever yourself up and over, This has the effect of pushing the spike through the sole of your shoe and into the ball of you foot. It also takes absolute ages for it to get better.
Always thought that was the Shrews game where he did his jiggery pokery.

Toss up between that, the Baseball Ground and the one on Jimmy Grimble for the worst pitch ever award

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.