Who's into Jazz Music?

That's ok, your in good company, even America's most misunderstood musician Frank Zappa had confusion in it. Although he did dabble in it and ironically won one of his two music Grammy's for his album "Jazz From Hell".(later receiving a third, Lifetime achievement Grammy.) He stated something like he didn't understand it.
"I listen to jazz and all I hear is a bunch of musicians noodling around,
I can't tell if it's good noodles, or bad noodles, It's all noodles to me."

the whole top part mirrors my musical journey almost exactly, tho I'm not a musician. This part sums it up for me perfectly. Being engaged and challenged is far more rewarding for my time than the flowery mainstream stuff. I find myself rathering silence to having to listen to some stuff in certain situations.
I like the names mentioned above, adding Chet Baker, Bill Frissell, Al Di Meola(return to forever), John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu Orch.), Passport, Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner, Ahmad Jamal, Joe Pass,
Pat Metheny, loads more.
Yes many more to add to the list for example Jaco Pastorius Bass player extraordinaire who played with Wayne shorter in the fantastic group Weather Report.
Besides the Weather report albums I love Jaco's solo work.

This track on the classic Miles Davis album Kind of Blue, is what jazz is all about for me, after the clever introduction by the bass Miles comes in on his trumpet with spot on, absolutely bang on timing, they made this record off the cuff with very little written down, just that they had spent thousands of hours playing together they knew what to do.

Miles plays the First section and is then taken over by John Coltrane on his tenor sax a finer performance you will never hear.
The fluidity in his playing is absolutely divine.
Sit in a quiet room or put on some decent headphones and listen to 'So What' you might hear what jazz is all about.
I very much hope you do.
These men were equal to Bach and Beethoven.

I found the complete Kind of Blue sessions multiple disc set a long time ago, been awhile since I've been there, gonna give it a bump up the list now, thanks.

Yes many more to add to the list for example Jaco Pastorius Bass player extraordinaire who played with Wayne shorter in the fantastic group Weather Report.
Besides the Weather report albums I love Jaco's solo work.
yup, i have the whole catalogue. ;)

I love jazz. I’m not an enthusiast but I did a bit of research into the early days of jazz in the flophouses with the musician (his name escapes me) that had the alcohol problem and got locked up in a mental institution, and then guys like duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, jelly roll, count Basie, Louie and Ella etc.a fascinating story but so complex and impossible to trace everything.
i listen to it often but I don’t really know artists as such that I favour other than the obvious Louie Armstrong, Miles Davis etc.
I go to Matt & Phreds in town, there’s some great young British musicians around doing a range of jazz. Dreamer are one of my favourites and worth checking out. Mr Wilson’s second liners are amazing live too - a Big Band that cover rave classics. It’s got to be seen to be believed.

This track on the classic Miles Davis album Kind of Blue, is what jazz is all about for me, after the clever introduction by the bass Miles comes in on his trumpet with spot on, absolutely bang on timing, they made this record off the cuff with very little written down, just that they had spent thousands of hours playing together they knew what to do.

Miles plays the First section and is then taken over by John Coltrane on his tenor sax a finer performance you will never hear.
The fluidity in his playing is absolutely divine.
Sit in a quiet room or put on some decent headphones and listen to 'So What' you might hear what jazz is all about.
I very much hope you do.
These men were equal to Bach and Beethoven.

Kind of Blue is great. Always loved Bitches Brew as well. A really great album.

Nearest I get to jazz is Steely Dan. I have got a Gong album Gazeuse which is modern jazz and contains some of the best drumming I’ve ever heard
Dan are very well respected by Jazz fans, hell, I always think they are Jazz.
I mean if "My Favourite Things" by John Coltrane was Jazz, then so is Dan.
Maybe Jazz/Rock fusion

Yes. The usual. Coltrane, Parker, Davies

Herbie Hancock is incredible.. also check out Music Is Rotted One Note by Squarepusher for a modern take on Miles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.