Is it time to say goodbye

If she shows any pain, or discomfort and the Vet confirms it isn’t a bug etc, I won’t let her suffer, she’s been too good a friend.
Hope it's better news than you fear. But give her more time if you can, even if her quality of life is less than before, so long as she's not in a lot of pain. We had a cat who made to to 18, the last year with one leg missing through cancer but she was wonderful in spite of it. Her last three months were difficult as the cancer spread in spite of the amputation, we were giving her 7 or 8 pills a day and she was peeing all over the place but we could see she wanted to live and weren't going to cut her life short even though it wasn't 100% the life she'd had before. Eventually when she found it hard to breathe we knew it was time and I think she did too. We took her to the vet and were with her at the end, it was peaceful and she saw we were with her, R.I.P.
Good luck.

this reminds me of my german shep,he had HD in his back legs and it came on so quick,he never walked right IMO,rear paws spreading out,he was in pain but dogs dont seem to show it as humans do,to the OP though you my freind will know when its time you wont need vet advice or advice on here,you will know and the dog will know one of my GS dogs came over to me and put his head on my shoulder 'i was sat on the floor' he kept it there for ages an hour later he dropped dead

I couldnt bear it if Ralph presented that predicament to me, I love my dog more than most people I know. If he isnt himself and you know it, and is 14 yrs old, it may be best as much as it agonises you to help the poor bugger along. They cant speak and we can only interpret.

I had a three legged dog that lived til 14 and could have gone on a bit longer but i was determined that she would walk into the vets when the time came. Apart from struggling to walk she was fine health wise but what kind of life would she have if she couldn't. Was a tough choice to put a seemingly healthy dog down but it was the right thing to do.
My last dog (roti) suddenly stopped eating aged ten. After a week of cadjoling her into eating we went to the vet. They said leave her overnight but i thought fuck that she's coming home and i'll be back in the morning. We had one last night together and when we went back she died on the table.
Dogs, especially big ones, are good at hiding illness and pain and by the time we start to see symptoms it's usually too late.

I hope your dog gets a bit longer in life but as its owner you have to take responsibility. At that age i wouldn't bother with any treatment if it's serious and let your best mate go with dignity.
All the best TINY.

I had a three legged dog that lived til 14 and could have gone on a bit longer but i was determined that she would walk into the vets when the time came. Apart from struggling to walk she was fine health wise but what kind of life would she have if she couldn't. Was a tough choice to put a seemingly healthy dog down but it was the right thing to do.
My last dog (roti) suddenly stopped eating aged ten. After a week of cadjoling her into eating we went to the vet. They said leave her overnight but i thought fuck that she's coming home and i'll be back in the morning. We had one last night together and when we went back she died on the table.
Dogs, especially big ones, are good at hiding illness and pain and by the time we start to see symptoms it's usually too late.

I hope your dog gets a bit longer in life but as its owner you have to take responsibility. At that age i wouldn't bother with any treatment if it's serious and let your best mate go with dignity.
All the best TINY.
Cheers mate. No she won’t be going through any treatment etc to relieve my own worry. She woke us up again last night to go outside, such a good girl! No accidents last night but I did sleep downstairs with her after she went out.

I’ll see what the Vet says today. She’s had breakfast and drinking m.

Eating , drinking ,going to the loo and a little walk a couple of times a day.
If she is coping with that then there should be plenty of life left in her yet.

You will know when the time is right.

Keep on keeping on.

Just taken her for a little walk, seems to be walking well, sniffing. Diarrhoea style once but she seemed to crack on. Back now and she’s had some water and in bed

If she is eating and drinking pal and managing to exercise a bit then she should be given every chance. vet will tell you if she is in pain or not and if its time.

You will know when she has had enough.

All the best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.