Junior football - it's not a man's game

cavalier Jackson

A book about grassroots football, written by a dad (city fan obviously) who volunteered to coach his son's team when no one else would.

This is his story, the unhappy parents, the unhappy substitutes, the hours spent awake worrying about selection. The wannabe Guardiola's that bawl and shout at kids who still believe in father Christmas, from the side lines

If you have ever played, watched or coached junior football, then this book is a must read. Only 6.99 www.stevesbook.co.uk

For 15 years I refereed mini football (7 a side under 11s), coached junior cricket and watched junior and colts rugby union.

it is unfortunate but true that junior football in particular can attract parents who think their child is the next Rooney and coaches who think they are the next Ferguson.

Winning at all costs becomes the aim rather than having a great time. There are some wonderful coaches out there but parental behaviour in particular is on the decline.

When my youngest was 13 he became a referee and did it for 2 years but he found it wasn't worth the hassle from parents and players.

For 15 years I refereed mini football (7 a side under 11s), coached junior cricket and watched junior and colts rugby union.

it is unfortunate but true that junior football in particular can attract parents who think their child is the next Rooney and coaches who think they are the next Ferguson.

Winning at all costs becomes the aim rather than having a great time. There are some wonderful coaches out there but parental behaviour in particular is on the decline.

When my youngest was 13 he became a referee and did it for 2 years but he found it wasn't worth the hassle from parents and players.

I am just about to watch my lad play - age 10 and then my daughter - age 17 and then a local non league game. The behaviour of parents has got much worse since I played a a kid. Some of the stuff coming from the touch lines makes you cringe. Everyone seems to think there son has a chance of making it and acts as such. I just go let them enjoy it and say well done even if they play shit. My lad is! (Like bambi on ice).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just about to watch my lad play - age 10 and then my daughter - age 17 and then a local non league game. The behaviour of parents has got much worse since I played a a kid. Some of the stuff coming from the touch lines makes you cringe. Everyone seems to think there son has a chance of making it and acts as such. I just go let them enjoy it and say well done even if they play shit. My lad is! (Like bamboo on ice).
I hope you don't panda to him.

After coaching at junior level for around 10 years I guess I could write a book or 2 about it!! Some of the stuff you hear is unbelievable.

I personally believe that most parents are better off staying away from watching their kids, they become totally different people once their kids get into a competitive environment, if you could show them videos of how they behave I guess the majority would be mortified.
Jeremy Clarkson wrote an article about how once parents worked out who his son was they had their kids target him during rugby matches... disgraceful behaviour.

Last edited:
How could he know?
Sounds like the sort of parent who moans that ten year old Tarquin Is being played out of position and if they’d only give him the ball...

My two lads played from around ten to sixteen. I went every week to watch one or the other. They used to play against a team that had Mark Hughes’ son playing. Hughes used to come along and his behaviour was exemplary. He stood a long way from the baying know all Pep wannabees and would quietly offer congratulations and support to players trying to use skill or vision, whatever team they played for, his son’s or the opposition.

had a lot of respect for him after that.

After coaching at junior level for around 10 years I guess I could right a book or 2 about it!! Some of the stuff you hear is unbelievable.

I personally believe that most parents are better off staying away from watching their kids, they become totally different people once their kids get into a competitive environment, if you could show them videos of how they behave I guess the majority would be mortified.
Jeremy Clarkson wrote an article about how once parents worked out who his son was they had their kids target him during rugby matches... disgraceful behaviour.
You'd have to turn your spell check on ;-)

I went watching one of my kids mates in a final last summer and was generally just clapping both sides and saying well done now and then. Out of the blue a fat bald **** about 5ft tall tapped me on the shoulder and asked me what my problem was, pretty much threatened me to shut up and stop supporting the opposition. He’d spent the whole game screaming at his son to do better and what to do and I genuinely felt sorry for the kid who looked utterly miserable. I managed to diffuse the situation without reacting like I wanted to but if people could only see how they behave at kids football they would be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.