Accents

Reminds me of a study we had to do at college on interpretations and feelings invoked by various UK accents.

Yorkshire came out on top every time as most pleasant unoffending and trustworthy. Everyone thinks of those hovis ads, nice gentle welcoming tones, warm bread, for example.

Bottom of the pile, again every time, for trustworthiness and least euphonius... the one that is akin to nails on a chalkboard... the least likely to make you want to buy something off them... the one that even unintentionally hid true meaning behind the high and low ebbs of it's emotion... Have a guess...

Manc usually came out somewhere in the middle to bottom half, likeable but not completely trustworthy. Fair enough really!

Can't remember many others. Brummie was the one that put people to sleep, Cockney was perceived to be untruthful, South East was popular but a bit bumpkin... All mass assumptions of course, but assumptions that people often have in their heads when confronted with these accents which may or may not influence their behaviour.

Be interesting to see it done again now, see what the effect of popular culture has had, if any.

Fucking multiculturalism :)

I took an Australian Blue to his first ever match.

Ten years in London zapped my bit Welsh bit Manc accent out of me. I’ve got a bland and banal tone. When I moved back to Manchester, a local befriended me and some fat woman turned round remarking “you sound dead posh, you do!”. I’m the son of a lorry driver and a secretary.

Reminds me of a study we had to do at college on interpretations and feelings invoked by various UK accents.

Yorkshire came out on top every time as most pleasant unoffending and trustworthy. Everyone thinks of those hovis ads, nice gentle welcoming tones, warm bread, for example.

Bottom of the pile, again every time, for trustworthiness and least euphonius... the one that is akin to nails on a chalkboard... the least likely to make you want to buy something off them... the one that even unintentionally hid true meaning behind the high and low ebbs of it's emotion... Have a guess...

Manc usually came out somewhere in the middle to bottom half, likeable but not completely trustworthy. Fair enough really!

Can't remember many others. Brummie was the one that put people to sleep, Cockney was perceived to be untruthful, South East was popular but a bit bumpkin... All mass assumptions of course, but assumptions that people often have in their heads when confronted with these accents which may or may not influence their behaviour.

Be interesting to see it done again now, see what the effect of popular culture has had, if any.
I used to do a fair bit of business in that there London. It was common for them to hear my accent (originally manc, but tainted with years of living in Yerksheer) and assume I was thick. I used this to great advantage by appearing a little slow. The bullshitters, liars and chancers got over confident and gave themselves away. So when I turned them down, I did so by quoting a little from Greek tragedy, like " You talk the sort of rubbish that Iphegenia had to suffer" and greeted their puzzled looks with "Oh, dont you know your Euripides? Surprising!."
Naughty of me, but I loved teaching the arseholes a lesson.

I used to do a fair bit of business in that there London. It was common for them to hear my accent (originally manc, but tainted with years of living in Yerksheer) and assume I was thick. I used this to great advantage by appearing a little slow. The bullshitters, liars and chancers got over confident and gave themselves away. So when I turned them down, I did so by quoting a little from Greek tragedy, like " You talk the sort of rubbish that Iphegenia had to suffer" and greeted their puzzled looks with "Oh, dont you know your Euripides? Surprising!."
Naughty of me, but I loved teaching the arseholes a lesson.

what line of work?

The marketing of financial services. Hence time spent in London.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.