Anyone been to Boston (USA)?

I love Boston and will probably buy a place there at some point. The traffic is usually nuts, but that’s the only downside I can think of.

Personally I prefer staying in the burbs then driving around. Burlington is pretty good and lots of shopping out that way - The Archer Hotel is in a decent spot for eating and drinking.

Up to Portsmouth NH for lunch in Surf, down to Foxboro for a game of grid iron. Then Rhode Island and Connecticut (there’s an all you can eat lobster place in RI which is amazing.) Across a few hours to Woodbury Common for even more shopping if you fancy it!

A drive to the Cape is well worth it too.

Capital Grille and Legal Seafood are my fav food places downtown, but CG is pricey.

In central Boston itself there’s loads to see and do. I’ve got a short attention span but could easily spend 2-3 days doing central Boston, a boat trip, Faneuil Hall, shopping on Boylston etc.

Would definitely recommend it. I’ve been all across the USA and Boston is probably my favourite place there.

I’ve been going on and off since 1994. Always had a soft spot for Boston. I remember it before , during and after The Big Dig .
I still remember 2 lobsters for 10 dollars when we got 2 dollars for a quid .
I remember Filenes basement on the day after Thanksgiving and they gave you a voucher when you got to the till . Armed with a big basket full of clothes , I opened it and it said everything was free !!
I’ve mentioned before that I managed to get barred from the Cheers bar ( or The Bull & Finch) on Thanksgiving with no where else open .
To the OP , you won’t run out of things to do , even at that time of year . Great place to walk around . The T is brilliant and easy to use . Make sure you get it to the centre from Logan .

or take a tip from the former Artist known as Prince and go to Canada ? Toronto is a great Town for Beer and sport plenty to do as well .
I'd second this and maybe consider doing Boston and Toronto on the same trip, can do a day trip to Niagra from Toronto as well. From memory flight from Boston toToronto was about an hour.

I've not been myself but I've heard good things and that you can 'do' Boston in 3 nights/4 days (esp if you get an early service outbound and a late service inbound to maximise your time there)

Not sure when in November you'd be looking to go but flights are currently joke cheap, under £500 for 2 direct returns (basic fares so luggage/seats etc extra) from London across many dates in November, including long weekend dates.

I've not been myself but I've heard good things and that you can 'do' Boston in 3 nights/4 days (esp if you get an early service outbound and a late service inbound to maximise your time there)

Not sure when in November you'd be looking to go but flights are currently joke cheap, under £500 for 2 direct returns (basic fares so luggage/seats etc extra) from London across many dates in November, including long weekend dates.
Just not thanksgiving weekend!

I’ve been going on and off since 1994. Always had a soft spot for Boston. I remember it before , during and after The Big Dig .
I still remember 2 lobsters for 10 dollars when we got 2 dollars for a quid .
I remember Filenes basement on the day after Thanksgiving and they gave you a voucher when you got to the till . Armed with a big basket full of clothes , I opened it and it said everything was free !!
I’ve mentioned before that I managed to get barred from the Cheers bar ( or The Bull & Finch) on Thanksgiving with no where else open .
To the OP , you won’t run out of things to do , even at that time of year . Great place to walk around . The T is brilliant and easy to use . Make sure you get it to the centre from Logan .
Wouldn't even bother with the cheers bar. It is only the outside front that is real - once inside it is nothing like the set on the show and bloody expensive for the privilege

I lived in Boston for a few years, just moving away last year.

It is a nice place to visit and I endorse most of what has been suggested thus far in the thread and also suggest packing accordingly as it can be cold in November (really luck of the draw as it is seen unseasonably warm spells and harsh cold snaps in the Fall over the last few years).

I would suggest taking in a Red Sox, Bruins, or Celtics game if you are looking for sport whilst visiting, as doing anything else will a bit of slog to get to get to (Patriots and Revolution play well out of the city, so it becomes a most-of-the-day affair). Fenway is in a great part of the city, as is the Garden. My office used to be right beside the latter and they’ve just finished more development around it, including a “showcase” entrance from Causeway that is a bit of a Instaspot, as the kids say. It’s an easy walk to the Public Market, Faneuil Hall, and Government Center. Depending on when you go in November they may even have the Holiday Market up in government Square right near Faneuil.

I can also offer craft pub and restaurant recommendations, if you can give your preferences, as the missus and I are foodies, and I am beer man myself. I would say generally that Trillium Brewing Company and Democracy Brewing are well worth a quaff (or three).

As @Mad Eyed Screamer has said, The Banshee in Dorchester is the Supporter’s Club bar. It can be a bit of stroll to get down there, and Dorchester is not a place worth walking around otherwise (think Cheetham Hill), but most of our matches are of course in the morning there, so you can take an Uber there, watch the match with fellow blues, then get back to city centre very easily.

In addition to other suggestions for activities already offered, if you like architecture, I would suggest going across the Charles to Cambridge. I know you said you weren’t interested in walking round Harvard (you are wise in that lack of interest), but MIT has some very interesting buildings, including a signature Gehry, as well as a few very good museums and public labs that are worth a few hours. There are also a few very good restaurants and music clubs in Cambridge — I would check to see who is playing at the Middle East whilst you and the missus are visiting. Just stay clear of The Phoenix Landing, as it is the Liverpool pub and is often full of absolute bellends.

I sent another long suggestion PM to another blue going to Boston a year or two ago that I can dig up and send you, as well, if you like.

Chicago is also a great city, by the way, though, it’ll be as cold and likely much more windy there that time of year. I’ve found it’s best to go there early Autumn as it is the best weather and not as crowded.

At any rate, I hope you have a brilliant visit!

I lived in Boston for a few years, just moving away last year.

It is a nice place to visit and I endorse most of what has been suggested thus far in the thread and also suggest packing accordingly as it can be cold in November (really luck of the draw as it is seen unseasonably warm spells and harsh cold snaps in the Fall over the last few years).

I would suggest taking in a Red Sox, Bruins, or Celtics game if you are looking for sport whilst visiting, as doing anything else will a bit of slog to get to get to (Patriots and Revolution play well out of the city, so it becomes a most-of-the-day affair). Fenway is in a great part of the city, as is the Garden. My office used to be right beside the latter and they’ve just finished more development around it, including a “showcase” entrance from Causeway that is a bit of a Instaspot, as the kids say. It’s an easy walk to the Public Market, Faneuil Hall, and Government Center. Depending on when you go in November they may even have the Holiday Market up in government Square right near Faneuil.

I can also offer craft pub and restaurant recommendations, if you can give your preferences, as the missus and I are foodies, and I am beer man myself. I would say generally that Trillium Brewing Company and Democracy Brewing are well worth a quaff (or three).

As @Mad Eyed Screamer has said, The Banshee in Dorchester is the Supporter’s Club bar. It can be a bit of stroll to get down there, and Dorchester is not a place worth walking around otherwise (think Cheetham Hill), but most of our matches are of course in the morning there, so you can take an Uber there, watch the match with fellow blues, then get back to city centre very easily.

In addition to other suggestions for activities already offered, if you like architecture, I would suggest going across the Charles to Cambridge. I know you said you weren’t interested in walking round Harvard (you are wise in that lack of interest), but MIT has some very interesting buildings, including a signature Gehry, as well as a few very good museums and public labs that are worth a few hours. There are also a few very good restaurants and music clubs in Cambridge — I would check to see who is playing at the Middle East whilst you and the missus are visiting. Just stay clear of The Phoenix Landing, as it is the Liverpool pub and is often full of absolute bellends.

I sent another long suggestion PM to another blue going to Boston a year or two ago that I can dig up and send you, as well, if you like.

Chicago is also a great city, by the way, though, it’ll be as cold and likely much more windy there that time of year. I’ve found it’s best to go there early Autumn as it is the best weather and not as crowded.

At any rate, I hope you have a brilliant visit!
Ha ha Dorchester = Cheetham Hill?
I would say more like a Dublin suburb! Irish accents in abundance. Ha ha
Always got the Red Line to JFK / UMass and a 5 min walk to The Banshee.

Probably got no chance of a Pats ticket unless big $$$$ but in November and The Revs are in the play offs then yes tickets no problem but getting there is!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.