La Liga 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valverde (for the second leg against Liverpool alone) has to go but Xavi wouldn't be the right fit either is the point I am making. You used Guardiola as an example and I am saying Xavi won't replicate those achievements . I can't think of anyone who could improve Barcelona's situation either.

You're the one guilty of poor reasoning. I pointed out the parallels between Pep & Xavi, they are indeed cut from the same cloth - Catalan, came through La Masia, learned their trade as a pivote with Xavi inheriting that position from Pep. I never made a claim that his achievements would be replicated, that's you drawing your own conclusions. There's no way to know what sort of coach Xavi will be but there's no question there are significant parallels. They see the game the same way and that already separates them from a clown like Valverde

In Pep's own words "Xavi is brave, Barcelona is his destiny as a coach. He was already a coach as a player - when I talked to him, I saw his eyes shine. He will come back to coach Barca, for sure. There are players that you see someday will be coaches. Because they like it, because it's their life. Sooner or later Xavi will train at Barça, things will happen, he understands, he has a lot of passion and I am convinced that he will put a lot of effort into it, he is very brave and daring and is not afraid to say things clearly. If he will do well or not? That, nobody knows"

And there's no question, above any other coach not named Guardiola, I would want Xavi to coach Barcelona

Last edited:
HAHAHAHA

Oh that's a hilariously bad take. This Barca side worse than the one Pep inherited in 2008? Not a chance.

The whole environment surrounding the club not the side. Inheriting an aging Messi(not a major problem yet),Xavi being away from the club for 5 seasons(although he has done an excellent job in Qatar there are no signs he can cut it as a coach in a higher pressure job) ,the most important bit is him not being Bartolmeu's choice and wanting to keep Valverde.

Last edited:
An aging Messi for starters. Bartolemeu hanging about and showing no signs of stepping down.

Bartomeu's tenure runs through 2021, he is not going to run again

Gerard Romero is a mouthpiece for the board at MD and claims Xavi will give his decision tomorrow, if yes then Valverde will be sacked for Xavi to take over immediately. I used to have more faith in Romero but he has been wrong (or misled) on a couple of key issues in last 12 months so we'll see

The whole environment surrounding the club not the side. Inheriting an aging Messi(not a major problem yet),Xavi being away from the club for 5 seasons(although he has done an excellent job in Qatar there are no signs he can cut it as a coach in a higher pressure job) ,the most important bit is him not being Bartolmeu's choice and wanting to keep Valverde.

The environment at the club in 2008 was much, much worse. Laporta almost got kicked out as president from a vote of no confidence that failed by only a few %, half of the board of directors resigned in protest of his continued presidency, Ronaldinho and Eto'o were at each others throats in very public war of words through the press, the players were spending more time partying than playing, and they'd not won anything in 2 seasons. Puyol had been crippled with injury and Xavi was being sold to United.

Xavi would inherit an incredible squad that just needs to be allowed to play the way they want to, have some sensible selections made, and let the 100m+ signings shine.

Last edited:
2007-2008 season was painful and among all the troubling issues at the time, the division & disharmony in the squad was palpably the biggest. I've still never quite gotten over that infamous Eto'O sub incident, Frank was great but letting Ten Cate leave after the CL win affected the discipline and he never managed to get them swimming in the same direction again

Pep solved that first thing, with no senior coaching experience under his belt - sent Ronaldinho & Deco to the exit & had to be convinced by senior squad members to resist dumping Samu as well. He just did it a season later, after winning every trophy you could play for

Still, '07-'08 was a trainwreck season, this season is painful compared to the past decade due to how impotent they look mostly but far less dysfunctional than what Rijkaard had to manage

Update: I have gone back & forth on this over the last 24 hrs as I am conflicted about Xavi's role as a pawn in Bartomeu's power struggle at the club with the upcoming elections but based on below, I think he is coming to take over for Valverde in the coming days

For the record, I think I would've preferred some European coaching experience first but Valverde cannot continue & Xavi is a dream most cules have contemplated since his retirement

Last edited:
so looking more and more like this is a done deal. Announcement soon apparently

so looking more and more like this is a done deal. Announcement soon apparently

Well, certainly looking more & more that Valverde will be terminated today although most cules thought that this summer too. Xavi gave a qualified no which pleases me since he is tied to Victor Font's project to lead the club in the coming election and does not want to be a political pawn in Bartomeu's attempt to consolidate power.

Many coaches over the weekend have been rumoured since Xavi declined which underscores just how aimeless Bartomeu is in terms of his sporting project for the club - latest indicates either Pochettino or Setien, with Barca B coach Pimienta a last ditch stopgap measure until June

If I was Barca's decision maker id try to get Tuchel
Tuchel's PSG is nothing special. I really don't see the hype. He is/was promising but i don't see him creating something. Guardiola and Klopp or even Mourinho teams have a clear identity but Tuchel doesn't seem to be able to change this team.

And if Tiki Taka is what they want, Tuchel likes being very vertical in the game.

On topic, Xavi at this stage of his coach career would take an huge risk to go to Barça now, especially in mid season. He is right to learn the job in Qatar with less pressure. No one will care if he fails there anyway. He was smart to refuse.

Now, let's see how impactful Valverde sacking will be for the rest of the season. Will it boost the players or instead create trouble ?

It's a short term audition and should've happened in June but finally Valverde is out the door and a true Cruyff disciple looks to be getting the nod in Setien

It's a short term audition and should've happened in June but finally Valverde is out the door and a true Cruyff disciple looks to be getting the nod in Setien
Is Setien a popular choice amongst the cules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.