The state of the gardens - another police incident

003be742.jpg

image.jpg

Used to be beautiful
And full of drunks and smackheads in the 80's

Good post, you couldn't go out at night in the 80s, it's a million percent better now. And that poster who thinks it will be like London with stabbings everyday, I don't think it will tbh, but we all have our opinions.

Agree 100%. Lot of old fogeyism on this thread.
The footprint of developed, interesting and safe areas of the city centre and inner-ring suburbs is so much broader than it was back in the 80s. It’s becoming a genuine world-class city.

Knock down the wall, fuck off cafe nero and the noodle place.

Manchester one will have to stay but we should take inspiration from Fuxing Park in Shanghai

20090819_411052_01.jpg

Get rid of the shit fountain and make the grass a no go zone.

Stop buses from the north needeing to turn off church street and stop on dale streer and have the 216 use lever street for last/first stop.

Pedestrianise the stretch of road outside morrisons and put in trees not concrete benches for tramps and smackheads to sleep on.

To continue to call that area 'Gardens' has to be the biggest misnomer of all time. My Grandad who was a gardener for the city council would be spinning in his grave.

Having watched the Monty Don programme on BBC2 on friday night, he showed a fantastic civic garden smack bang in the middle of Chicago so don't tell me it still can't be done as I'm sure Chicago must have it's societal problems too which I guess is the real thrust of this thread. I'm sure @ChicagoBlue can comment on how this area really works though.

Anyhow,Those in charge at the council should be ashamed of themselves for ever signing off on that wall and whoever 'designed' the bloody thing needs a word with themselves.
Well, for one thing, the Mayor bulldozed the lakefront airport in the middle of the night, so it could be turned into a lakeside park, instead of a luxury stopping point for the hoi polloi who thought a 30 min drive from the other closest field was simply too much to bear in the back of their stretch limo!

However, Grant Park and the “lakeshore campus” of museums, planetariums, aquariums, a marina, beaches and open space is nearly all on reclaimed ground that was set aside by the city planners a long, long time ago. For those who visit Chicago in the summer, it is the centre of festivals and outdoor activity and, today, represents land that is simply too expensive to develop...and if it were attempted, would create outrage. It also has a massive parking garage underneath it for City centre commuters, and access to the Union Station sidings.

Chicago is, and always has been, a city of unique neighborhoods, many of which are centered by a park...just as my suburb is. While American cities are, indeed, concrete jungles, they also usually contain well planned and laid out parks and open areas for the thousands of local citizens to enjoy, spend an afternoon or evening, or to take the dog for a walk. These areas are also magnets for local bars and restaurants that seed both residential and commercial development over time.

Chicago planning and development has a very long and storied history, which is why the Architectural River Tours are some of the best day trips in the city.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.