Don’t Blame Fans For The Empty Seats

There's a rule that the club can refuse to renew if you don't attend or list at least 10 games on the exchange. There may well be a very reasonable explanation for that though.

It's quite true that most empty seats are no-shows.

It’s only going to be a tiny minority who can’t comply with the Club’s rule. Then if there is a very good reason (eg serious health issues) then I’m sure the ticket office would be flexible.

It’s more likely that there are few rich rags who buy a season card just to see the Derby.

Last edited:
It’s only going to be a tiny minority who can’t comply with the Club’s rule. Then if there is a very good reason (eg serious health issues) then I’m sure the ticket office would be flexible.

It’s more likely that there are few RICK rags who buy a season card just to see the Derby.
Didn’t know he was a rag season ticket holder ;-)

That’s only a recent thing though isn’t it?

There’s clearly something to be done when you’ve got people like me willing to pay for a couple of tickets that can’t get them and yet there’s empty seats in the ground. I’m not sure what that is though!
That was part of the answer to address this specific problem. There's a surprising number of tickets that aren't used for a significant number of games. And when I say they aren't used, they're not passed on to someone else or listed on Ticket Exchange. All clubs have the same problem, which is why they're starting to introduce these sorts of measures. Naturally there's some self-interest by the clubs. My SC costs £40 pro-rata but if I list it on the Exchange it could be sold for more. People get upset about this but it seems fair enough to me that if you listed your seat for every game and it sold, you'd get back exactly what you paid for the ticket. The other part of the argument is that the tickets could be owned by touts, who can make a profit on just a few games. If you've got a £325 ticket, that works out at £17 a game and you could make that back just charging £65 for the top games, with anything else as profit. I suspect that's a large part of the reason we get away fans in home areas.

That was part of the answer to address this specific problem. There's a surprising number of tickets that aren't used for a significant number of games. And when I say they aren't used, they're not passed on to someone else or listed on Ticket Exchange. All clubs have the same problem, which is why they're starting to introduce these sorts of measures. Naturally there's some self-interest by the clubs. My SC costs £40 pro-rata but if I list it on the Exchange it could be sold for more. People get upset about this but it seems fair enough to me that if you listed your seat for every game and it sold, you'd get back exactly what you paid for the ticket. The other part of the argument is that the tickets could be owned by touts, who can make a profit on just a few games. If you've got a £325 ticket, that works out at £17 a game and you could make that back just charging £65 for the top games, with anything else as profit. I suspect that's a large part of the reason we get away fans in home areas.

Yep, that’s what I’ve always suspected was the issue.

I can’t see any way to properly fix it though. Well, unless the stadium is expanded so that capacity far outstrips demand. It’s difficult to measure though as although I’m sure there’s plenty in a similar situation to me, there’s no way that’s currently quantifiable.

Yep, that’s what I’ve always suspected was the issue.

I can’t see any way to properly fix it though. Well, unless the stadium is expanded so that capacity far outstrips demand. It’s difficult to measure though as although I’m sure there’s plenty in a similar situation to me, there’s no way that’s currently quantifiable.
That's absolutely right. There's no way to really know for sure if people would have bought tickets if there had been capacity. One of the solutions we've talked about at City Matters was building the extension and just offering tickets there (or in another part of the stadium) on a matchday basis only, i.e. no seasoncards in the nominated area.

That's absolutely right. There's no way to really know for sure if people would have bought tickets if there had been capacity. One of the solutions we've talked about at City Matters was building the extension and just offering tickets there (or in another part of the stadium) on a matchday basis only, i.e. no seasoncards in the nominated area.

I think that’s a very good idea, I’d timebox those as well so they don’t all go on sale at the beginning of the season, release them once the kick off time is nailed down.

I think that’s a very good idea, I’d timebox those as well so they don’t all go on sale at the beginning of the season, release them once the kick off time is nailed down.
Back to prices l understand that the OSC have often been in discussion with the club (Danny Wilson?) but they get knocked back too with the reason/excuse that the club believe people should pay for the top quality product they 'buy'.
Perhaps a reduction this year then?

We've also suggested to the club that they do that with general admission tickets now so instead of offering all available seats at the start of the season they only offer half and hold the rest until 3 or 4 weeks before the match date.

Back to prices l understand that the OSC have often been in discussion with the club (Danny Wilson?) but they get knocked back too with the reason/excuse that the club believe people should pay for the top quality product they 'buy'.
Perhaps a reduction this year then?

Only if you can convince the players to take a pay cut as their salaries are our biggest cost. Maybe Sane will throw something into the kitty given that he wouldn’t be on the wage bill if he’d had his way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.