John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my thinking. I'd like to see him get one last chance this back half of the season with a run of games alongside Laporte. If we still don't think he's the long-term solution, try selling to Arsenal in the summer for £30m-£35m along with selling Otamendi. Head into next season with Laporte, new CB, Fernandinho, Garcia, and THB.

Imagine going into a season with a fresh from long term injury laporte, new cb with no prem experience, 36 yo fernandinho and 2 teenagers (though good and with potential). That would be worse than what we started this season with and the main reason we have fallen behind.

Ota goes for sure in summer and is replaced, if stones goes, he too is replaced and Id still get another to allow fernandinho back forward (and limit his games)

He was the best defender on the park against us mate and just because he`s an ex Rag means nothing to me.A good investment for that sort of money. ;) He`s still better than Stones.

I'm going to have to agree with this. On current form, ex Rag or not, the simple fact remains that JFE is better than Stones at the present time. We should have bought him for £30 million when we had chance. Better than Stones or indeed Otamendi.

The very fact that Arteta with all of his inside knowledge thinks there's a realistic enough chance to ask suggests that he's a player we're willing to let go. We'd be insane to get rid of another CB in the middle of a season that has been ruined by us not having enough fit CBs though.

Who would you say is of the same quality as stones, but much cheaper (and also english/homegrown, and approaching their prime years)?

genuine question btw, rather than point-making bickering.

The buying club doesn't have to have as big of a need for homegrown players as we do. Depending on who it is they could have plenty more spaces for foreign players and buy their CB from abroad at a fraction of the price. It's all hypothetical.

Imagine going into a season with a fresh from long term injury laporte, new cb with no prem experience, 36 yo fernandinho and 2 teenagers (though good and with potential). That would be worse than what we started this season with and the main reason we have fallen behind.

Ota goes for sure in summer and is replaced, if stones goes, he too is replaced and Id still get another to allow fernandinho back forward (and limit his games)

We very well may sign two, I'm not saying we won't. But if Fernandinho is extended and we don't loan out Garcia and/or THB I can't see us buying a third. And even then, if we sign two new CBs and extend Fernandinho it makes more sense to send one or both of Garcia and THB on loan, and I'm not sure Pep wants to do that.

I like Stones, I do. I think there's still potential in him to be great, he just needs to stay fit and progress like we know he can. I'm not suggesting we need to sell him. The only reason I jumped into this was because there's absolutely no way we're getting 70m-80m for him.

The very fact that Arteta with all of his inside knowledge thinks there's a realistic enough chance to ask suggests that he's a player we're willing to let go. We'd be insane to get rid of another CB in the middle of a season that has been ruined by us not having enough fit CBs though.

Assuming it is in any way at all true (that arteta would have contacted the club). Which i doubt.

Basically, stones met up with his agent. Who also happens to be arteta's agent. That is it. Doesn't mean arsenal are after him, doesn't mean he wants to go, doesn't mean we want to sell.

The buying club doesn't have to have as big of a need for homegrown players as we do. Depending on who it is they could have plenty more spaces for foreign players and buy their CB from abroad at a fraction of the price. It's all hypothetical.

It is indeed entirely hypothetical. Doesnt answer my question. Doesn't matter if they (hypothetical buying club) do or don't need homegrown players, it is still a quality that has a price. You claimed there are a number of players as good as stones but much cheaper. Honestly curious who you think they are. Need to be homegrown and of a similar age/experience.

It is indeed entirely hypothetical. Doesnt answer my question. Doesn't matter if they (hypothetical buying club) do or don't need homegrown players, it is still a quality that has a price. You claimed there are a number of players as good as stones but much cheaper. Honestly curious who you think they are. Need to be homegrown and of a similar age/experience.

My exact words, emphasis in bold:

I'm not saying those players are as good as him or twice as good in Maguire's case. I'm saying that clubs know we have fuck loads of cash and thus always lowball us on a fee. If we were talking one of the young forwards or midfielders or Laporte or Ederson then yeah they would command huge fees but teams know that they can get an option not far off from Stones' quality for much cheaper than you're suggesting we would get. Those clubs also rely on those players much more than we rely on Stones. Selling one of them could result in them going down. Realistically, knowing we'd be bringing in a replacement, how much worse off are we without Stones?

That's talking about the £70m-£80m you suggested. Considering only two defenders have ever been sold for that much, I don't think it's that unreasonable.

My exact words, emphasis in bold:

That's talking about the £70m-£80m you suggested. Considering only two defenders have ever been sold for that much, I don't think it's that unreasonable.

Fair enough, i missed that, indeed my error.
Still, genuinely curious who, if you want to answer. Who has the same qualities as stones, for much less than 70/80m?

Maybe Arteta knows something that we don’t. I can’t imagine that we’d countenance him leaving unless we were planning on bringing someone in. Arteta surely knows this.

I really wanted Stones to succeed. I still want him to succeed. But, aside from a few strong periods lasting no more than a few weeks, he hasn’t lived up to expectations and it might be time to move on. I wouldn’t be opposed to a 6 month loan move, with a view to selling in the summer, providing that we have a competent replacement lined up.

Maybe Arteta knows something that we don’t. I can’t imagine that we’d countenance him leaving unless we were planning on bringing someone in. Arteta surely knows this.

I really wanted Stones to succeed. I still want him to succeed. But, aside from a few strong periods lasting no more than a few weeks, he hasn’t lived up to expectations and it might be time to move on. I wouldn’t be opposed to a 6 month loan move, with a view to selling in the summer, providing that we have a competent replacement lined up.

He plays when he isn’t injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.