Would you like a big house ?

Or are you happier in a small house.
3 years ago I lived in a 4000 square foot house on 2 acres of land.
At first I loved it all that space, huge shed, lots of grass trees etcetera.
But then after a couple of years I began to get fed up with it, constantly mowing, weeding grass, trees falling over, gutters full of leaves, cleaning the house was huge, rooms that you only walked past and never used, it all seemed so silly and the cost of it was quite big I had a $5,000 ride on mower, I had all kinds of equipments and we had tons of furniture, ornaments, books and shit to fill the house.
My weekends were devoted to house and yard work.
So after living there for 5 years we sold up had a huge garage sale, and donated loads of stuff to the Salvation army, and downsized to an apartment where we live now.
The apartments isn't big and has 2 bedrooms and to tell you the truth I've never been happier, 90% of our possessions have gone and we just have the things that we actually need.
Sometimes I drive past big homes on acreage and think 'yeah that looks nice but in reality I wouldn't want to live there'.
Or are you happier in a small house.
3 years ago I lived in a 4000 square foot house on 2 acres of land.
At first I loved it all that space, huge shed, lots of grass trees etcetera.
But then after a couple of years I began to get fed up with it, constantly mowing, weeding grass, trees falling over, gutters full of leaves, cleaning the house was huge, rooms that you only walked past and never used, it all seemed so silly and the cost of it was quite big I had a $5,000 ride on mower, I had all kinds of equipments and we had tons of furniture, ornaments, books and shit to fill the house.
My weekends were devoted to house and yard work.
So after living there for 5 years we sold up had a huge garage sale, and donated loads of stuff to the Salvation army, and downsized to an apartment where we live now.
The apartments isn't big and has 2 bedrooms and to tell you the truth I've never been happier, 90% of our possessions have gone and we just have the things that we actually need.
Sometimes I drive past big homes on acreage and think 'yeah that looks nice but in reality I wouldn't want to live there'.
Would you like a big house ?
Sorry my Dyslexia thought it meant something else..

Not too bothered about a big house although I would like to get one built as per our own design and layout etc.

That's what we did and had what we thought was the perfect property for us (and in many ways it was). As lovely as it was though, it just wasn't terribly practical! We planned it more with our hearts than our heads. On odd days I still miss some aspects of it but my life is a lot simpler and more stress free without it.

we have a decent semi,6 beds over 3 floors. a complete waste at our time, would swop for a tiny cottage in Tuscany if i could.

You probably could. Plenty of nice, cheap cottages in Tuscany, if you stay away from being too close to Florence, Sienna etc. A friend of mine picked one up in a small village for about 70,000 euros a year or two ago.

I have a little bungalow,it was too small when i was married but it's perfect for me,masive 150 odd feet garden,bottom half turned over to the wildlife and a gardener to mow the lawn at the top end,it's beautiful,loads of trees,completey private,quiet area,every bird known to man and the bigger animals,if i won the lottery i would stay put,bits of it need updating,keep some money for saftey and for my family and give the rest away,why have a bigger house than you need,it's just more to heat and clean,same with cars,just have what you need

Not too bothered about the size of house, as long as it has all we need without falling over each other. I had the privilege of living in a smallish 3 bed roomed Spanish finca for 7 years in the mountains of the Els Port national park, Catalunya, we'd sort of built it up from a shepherds hut to having a pool, outdoor lounge, huge bbq terrace etc etc and we were fortunate enough to wake up to a 20 odd acre valley of well maintained land, eagles, bee eaters, snakes, olive trees, figs and vines and all manner of wildlife not overlooked by a soul and the nearest neighbour was a farmer 1 km away. Looking after it was a labour of love....from ploughing, cutting, mowing and pruning trees, mending walls. Had the boys toys, a tractor, a rotorvator and a ride on mower, 2 of everything ....chain saws, strimmers, power tools. We even built a second house on the land and rented the farm out. It had absolutely no services as such, totally off grid and €60 ( yes, sixty euros) a year council tax, granted, we had to take our bins down to the village. Then boredom and the 7 year itch set in....home James. The sale price wouldn't have got us a 3 bedded semi in Sale.

3 bed semi.
Big garden.
Off road parking .
Just put a decent sized extension on with a massive decking .
Lucky enough I can do 90% of the work myself.
Would move I won the lottery would want a bigger house

I’m looking for a home at the moment and just fancy a flat to start with. I hate cleaning so the smaller the better. I also spent summer holidays on a farm in South Wales which was HUGE. I used to bottle feed a lamb called Herbie.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.