Houssem Aouar

Why? We don't and never will play that way, we're not Wolves.

Don't get me wrong we do play those passes but very infrequently in midfield, usually from Laporte and Fernandinho (if he plays RCB). You very rarely get the time and space in midfield to be able to play those passes accurately in the Premier League. Wolves have Neves but again it's usually the three CB's playing the cross field passes, not in midfield.
we need good pingers too

Right player, wrong time IMO. If we could be fortunate enough that no one goes in for him this summer I could see us target him as an Ilkay replacement after the 20-21 season but I would imagine with his talent he'll have no shortage of suitors this summer.

Right player, wrong time IMO. If we could be fortunate enough that no one goes in for him this summer I could see us target him as an Ilkay replacement after the 20-21 season but I would imagine with his talent he'll have no shortage of suitors this summer.
We'll have Rodri, Gundogan, KDB, Bernardo, Foden. Unless Pep decides to use Zinchenko or Doyle in midfield from next season, I think we may need to add someone.

We'll have Rodri, Gundogan, KDB, Bernardo, Foden. Unless Pep decides to use Zinchenko or Doyle in midfield from next season, I think we may need to add someone.

With Aouar added in to that mix, it's arguably an even worse situation for Foden than it is this season with a 34 year old Silva ahead of him.

The only way it works is if Bernardo and Gundogan are considered as a winger and backup DM respectively with KDB, Foden and Aouar are our main 3 CM options.

Bernardo being solely played out on the right I can see happening, with the odd central appearance when necessary, but is Pep going to make his lovechild Gundogan purely a backup no.6? And is Gundo himself going to be happy with that role? I think we'll find ourselves in a situation where Foden doesn't get game time over a new £60m signing (as we know Kev will be a starter) and Pep doesn't have the faith to play him over other more tried and trusted options like Gundogan.

Another pure midfielder like Aouar will only work in my eyes if someone like Gundogan leaves, otherwise we risk another log jam of talent and have a Sane like situation where a quality player is unhappy with their game time and wants to leave - the most likely player in that situation is Foden.

I think we either need to sign a hybrid player like Grealish, who could play both on the left wing and in midfield when needed, or play Bernardo predominantly in a central role and sign another winger to solely play down the left.

With Aouar added in to that mix, it's arguably an even worse situation for Foden than it is this season with a 34 year old Silva ahead of him.

The only way it works is if Bernardo and Gundogan are considered as a winger and backup DM respectively with KDB, Foden and Aouar are our main 3 CM options.

Bernardo being solely played out on the right I can see happening, with the odd central appearance when necessary, but is Pep going to make his lovechild Gundogan purely a backup no.6? And is Gundo himself going to be happy with that role? I think we'll find ourselves in a situation where Foden doesn't get game time over a new £60m signing (as we know Kev will be a starter) and Pep doesn't have the faith to play him over other more tried and trusted options like Gundogan.

Another pure midfielder like Aouar will only work in my eyes if someone like Gundogan leaves, otherwise we risk another log jam of talent and have a Sane like situation where a quality player is unhappy with their game time and wants to leave - the most likely player in that situation is Foden.

I think we either need to sign a hybrid player like Grealish, who could play both on the left wing and in midfield when needed, or play Bernardo predominantly in a central role and sign another winger to solely play down the left.

That's what I thought it would be more realistic if Aouar came in the summer of 2021, assuming he's not already left Lyon by that point. I honestly think after next season Gundogan will see that he isn't first choice and only has a few years left of his prime and may choose to make a move elsewhere. At that point I would be happy with bringing in Aouar, but I do feel that bringing him in next season is overkill and would stunt Phil's development further.

That's what I thought it would be more realistic if Aouar came in the summer of 2021, assuming he's not already left Lyon by that point. I honestly think after next season Gundogan will see that he isn't first choice and only has a few years left of his prime and may choose to make a move elsewhere. At that point I would be happy with bringing in Aouar, but I do feel that bringing him in next season is overkill and would stunt Phil's development further.
You might well be right. But I still think it depends on our other signings and formation Pep prefers. He might consider 3 at the back to more prominent one which means Rodri will probably spend his minutes at CB. Gundogan/Bernardo partnering with Kevin. Foden plays mostly when we switch to 433. Bernardo plays some games on the wing when Pep looks for rotation of other three wingers.

For Christ's sake why does everyone seem to think Foden won't get a chance? He's NINETEEN years old. The ginger pig hadn't even made his debut at that age!!!!!!!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.