Driving tour of Ireland

So after the success of last years driving tour (it was totally brilliant). We have decided to visit the places we missed last year. So we are driving from Belfast ferry to Leitrim village for a night then on to Galway for a couple of nights in the city centre then we have 5 nights in a self cater overlooking the Atlantic close to Ballyshanon (say hi to Rory G) and then up to Bushmills before getting the ferry back. Any suggestions for Pubs, eateries and things to do in any of those areas very gratefully received.

So after the success of last years driving tour (it was totally brilliant). We have decided to visit the places we missed last year. So we are driving from Belfast ferry to Leitrim village for a night then on to Galway for a couple of nights in the city centre then we have 5 nights in a self cater overlooking the Atlantic close to Ballyshanon (say hi to Rory G) and then up to Bushmills before getting the ferry back. Any suggestions for Pubs, eateries and things to do in any of those areas very gratefully received.

Can give you any hotel/entertainment related tips on Galway if you need.

When are you coming? What way do you intend to get to Leitrim from Belfast?

Im in Belfast but spend quite a bit of time in Fermanagh and Donegal (south)....not too far from Ballyshannon. We camp/surf at Rossnowlagh Beach (just north of Ballyshannon) and we have a caravan on Lough Erne at Kesh where we jetski, fish and generally relax like fuck LOL!

Time of year will really impact on where to go.

If you have 5 days in Ballyshannon you've plenty to see from Sligo to Donegal to Fermanagh........i absolutely love that part of the world and from spring to late autumn / early winter we are down there practically every other weekend

So we are booked in the Residence. Any info on pubs/restaurants and must see stuff would be very useful.

You're very well placed if you want to be in the centre of things. It's pretty much on the main drinking street (Quay Street/Shop Street), and there are restaurants for all tastes. Classic pub food, fish, tapas, Asian fusion, Italian.....all within easy walking distance of your place.

As an (adopted) local the novelty of Quay Street/Shop Street has worn off for me but for a tourist staying for a couple of nights, it's a great place and you can have a lot of fun.

I can be more specific with restaurants and pubs if you like - it has everything from the more modern bar with the normal range of drinks to a proper turf fire with craft ales etc.

I would dare say that two days solidly in Galway city might wear thin quickly - in one direction you have the Connemara National Park (North/North West), and in the other you have the Burren (South/South East). I can be more specific here too if you like.

PS: it's going to rain. Indiscriminately. Have appropriate clothing!

When are you coming? What way do you intend to get to Leitrim from Belfast?

Im in Belfast but spend quite a bit of time in Fermanagh and Donegal (south)....not too far from Ballyshannon. We camp/surf at Rossnowlagh Beach (just north of Ballyshannon) and we have a caravan on Lough Erne at Kesh where we jetski, fish and generally relax like fuck LOL!

Time of year will really impact on where to go.

If you have 5 days in Ballyshannon you've plenty to see from Sligo to Donegal to Fermanagh........i absolutely love that part of the world and from spring to late autumn / early winter we are down there practically every other weekend
We are there in June mate. Rossnowlagh is where we will be staying. We will be visiting Leitrim again because it’s where my wife’s ancestors come from. If I remember correctly, it’s about 2 1/2 hours from the Ferry. We stay at Leitrim Marina, just for the night.

You're very well placed if you want to be in the centre of things. It's pretty much on the main drinking street (Quay Street/Shop Street), and there are restaurants for all tastes. Classic pub food, fish, tapas, Asian fusion, Italian.....all within easy walking distance of your place.

As an (adopted) local the novelty of Quay Street/Shop Street has worn off for me but for a tourist staying for a couple of nights, it's a great place and you can have a lot of fun.

I can be more specific with restaurants and pubs if you like - it has everything from the more modern bar with the normal range of drinks to a proper turf fire with craft ales etc.

I would dare say that two days solidly in Galway city might wear thin quickly - in one direction you have the Connemara National Park (North/North West), and in the other you have the Burren (South/South East). I can be more specific here too if you like.

PS: it's going to rain. Indiscriminately. Have appropriate clothing!
Ha ha. Yes that’s what we were told last year and apart from one half day, we spent most of our 9 days in lovely sunshine. We will be bringing the weather with us again ;-)
Any recommendations on good authentic Irish pubs with good food and live music. I will look at Trip Advisor for stuff to visit but your own thoughts welcome.

We are there in June mate. Rossnowlagh is where we will be staying. We will be visiting Leitrim again because it’s where my wife’s ancestors come from. If I remember correctly, it’s about 2 1/2 hours from the Ferry. We stay at Leitrim Marina, just for the night.

Rossnowlagh is my happy place :-)....June is a great time to go, you'll have the weather for it!

Not a lot to do, unless you like the beach and ice cream and guinness...but for me, thats the beauty of it...is it the Sandhouse you're staying? Kinda "retro" hotel....but we spend a lot of time in the Surfers Bar next to it....you'll have good craic in there. Would also recommend the Gaslight restaurant and Smugglers Inn.....smugglers is the one many recommend, i personally prefer the Gaslight.

If you had a wee bit of time, id drive Belfast - Dungannon - Ballygawley - Enniskillen and then on to Leitrim....just to get a bit of Ennikillen into the trip

So we are booked in the Residence. Any info on pubs/restaurants and must see stuff would be very useful.

Spent two days in Gallway in Sept, and ended up in O'Connell's bar a few times. We stayed in Forster court hotel which has a good restaurant as well.
Also the Quays is a nice, old pub that puts on the Trad music.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.