FlyBE

what happened to market forces? Business unable to pay its way owing taxes amongst other things should presumably fail. That would be a disaster for small airports and connectivity but we have a Governing party who believes in market forces so its sad but Thomas Cook and Monarch show that its a tough world in aviation...................errrr...........hang on........a bailout? WTF???

Hypothetically.

Cost of bailout to taxpayers might be less than the cost of non bailout through loss of transport routes.

It's not ideal but it's bailing out a company that operates a service for a much more diverse population that rely on the links regional plane travel allows. So without concrete numbers I am not jumping to condemn the decision.

Last edited:
Hypothetically.

Cost of bailout to taxpayers might be less than the cost of non bailout to through loss of transport routes.

It's not ideal but it's bailing out a company that operates a service for a much more diverse population that rely on the links regional plane travel allows. So without concrete numbers I am not jumping to condemn the decision.

and also perhaps after the Govt looked at the figures for Flybe they thought it was not a huge risk whereas when they looked at Tommy Cooks there was nothing but a great big hole and it was just getting bigger. Some things you can put money into, others, no way.

I travel a lot ( sorry Greta I only have one life and I want to see as much of the planet as I can ) what I don’t understand is I am rarely on an empty aircraft.

I used to fly Flybe to Aberdeen it was hard to book on. Monarch was always full when I went on it , same now with easyJet , jet 2

the model seems broken . I don’t see an overcapacity of aircraft seats I see airlines killing each other in a stupid price war selling a product which should cost more and people will pay more

I always find it incredible when someone says they are off to Portugal for 40 quid on a flight when you cannot get a train to London for anything near that price

they seem to sell 10 pound notes for 8 quid and if you do that you will go bust !!!

Although I feel sorry for anyone losing a job, we clearly don't need a regional airline in the UK. Much better for the environment if these flights aren't replaced.

The fact that the government wants to cut the passenger tax is absolutely horrific given the climate emergency. People seem to want a few extra £'s in their back pocket and couldn't care less about the world their children will inherit.

To be fair, bailout isn’t the right term, what Flybe have got is a time to pay agreement with HMRC, that any business can ask for if they’re unable to meet their obligations (albeit not everyone gets one). HMRC will have balanced the risk of allowing a structured deferral against the risk of Flybe collapsing overnight and getting very little.

Thomas Cook wasn’t up against a large tax bill, a bailout there would have meant public funds propping up a business rather than restructuring payments to the Treasury

Although I feel sorry for anyone losing a job, we clearly don't need a regional airline in the UK. Much better for the environment if these flights aren't replaced.

The fact that the government wants to cut the passenger tax is absolutely horrific given the climate emergency. People seem to want a few extra £'s in their back pocket and couldn't care less about the world their children will inherit.

Quite right. Incoming flak from couldn’t-give-a-shitters though, as you’d expect.

you're completely wrong. Kudos to HMRC and those supporting a vital British regional venture. Caroline Lucas and her ilk can get fucked and start focusing on the real issues like making air travel cleaner than cutting air travel itself. Be progressive ffs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.