No claims discount

cityontheup

Looking for advice regarding protecting the no claims discount on my car insurance...is it worth the extra £30 ?

My fiance used to work in car insurance and her advice to me is that it probably is worth the extra £30. For the sake of £30, you might save yourself a bomb if you were to have an accident.

Other factors needed to consider it are:

- Is it a fancy car or a banger?
- Do you have sufficient emergency money to cover minor damage?
- How many years do you have no claims?

Looking for advice regarding protecting the no claims discount on my car insurance...is it worth the extra £30 ?
I would say so, although it is worth weighing up the cost of losing your discount against the cost of the NCD. You are basically insuring yourself against a large hike in insurance costs.

I've got full NCD, and I've just had to claim on my insurance. Hopefully my insurance costs should be around the same next year.

Absolute no brainer mate, pay it... I always have and its the best thing ive done, anyone can have a prang and if your claims are not protected it will cost you a lot more than £30 when you renew..!
Will still cost you more as it’s only the NCD that’s protected the premium will still rise due to claim you would likely only loose @ 15% in your first claim so is not as cut and dried as some would have you think.

Just had the renewal through for SWMBO, who has 13 years NCD with AXA, includes the following information

without NCD protection

1 claim in next 12 months - NCD following renewal 4 years
2 claims in next 12 months - NCD following renewal 2 years
3 claims in next 12 months - NCD following renewal 0 years

with NCD protection

1 claim in next 12 months - NCD following renewal 13 years
2 claims in next 12 months - NCD following renewal 4 years
3 claims in next 12 months - NCD following renewal 2 years

Difference between 4 years and 13 years NCD is 14%, working that out from the renewal cost, that saves £62.44 in the event of 1 claim, NCD protection is priced at £18.77, so it's worth having on that basis, however there are subsequent similar savings over the next 9 years (assuming you don't prang it again) as you build up your NCD so long term, definitely worth it for her.

Thanks for the advice guys, just had my renewal notice from Hastings Direct £540 just done a quick search on a comparison website, found a quote for £375 from Hastings Direct !!...just goes to show never auto renew.

I always used to change insurers at renewal time as always cheaper and always got the phone call from old insurer a couple of days before old one was up telling me I need to insure as I would be driving car illegally.
I explained that I had gone elswere as was a lot cheaper, he said we could do it cheaper that the renewal quote we send I then used to say why didn't you send me the cheaper quote first to which they have no answer.
Shisters the lot of them.

I've got full NCD, and I've just had to claim on my insurance. Hopefully my insurance costs should be around the same next year.

Probably not Trevor because although your NCB is protected that will not stop your premium increasing because of the accident. What it will mean is you will receive your full NCD on the increased tariff as you are now classed as a higher risk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.