Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to see the future of Liverpool should they win the league. Klopp has a history of bringing short term success to teams before leaving them in a downward spiral. They have some good young players but should they go onto win the league there's not much else for them to do and it will be interesting to see if their key players decide to move on. The love of Liverpool as a place and club only ever seems to be short term for world class talent not born in that dump.

If we win the CL I still think we can retain the majority of our players. But perhaps, for the first time since the take over, we will have a battle to retain key players who might want new challenges. I would feel we are better placed to retain key players because of the way the club is run. It could be an interesting summer depending what trophies are won. I have a strong feeling we will win the CL this season. With the league beyond us realistically, and Pep's recent experimentation tactically we can give it everything and it would be exactly what David Silva deserves before he leaves.

I'm not absolving them or seeking to downplay their role. They were indeed the first club to test FA rules by setting up a holding company and paying directors/dividends via that company. United did indded follow suit. But they were acting mainly in their own interests whereas the three clubs, acting in concert, were the ones that, actively & with forethought, moved the game from where it was to where it is now without thought about the consequences for the rest of the game.
Let’s just say we’re both right!

Club rivalries aside, that sort of thing that you describe freaks me out. Very weird.
What, Firmino's public baptism or the Liverpool fans 'welcoming' coaches?
Interested to see the future of Liverpool should they win the league. Klopp has a history of bringing short term success to teams before leaving them in a downward spiral. They have some good young players but should they go onto win the league there's not much else for them to do and it will be interesting to see if their key players decide to move on. The love of Liverpool as a place and club only ever seems to be short term for world class talent not born in that dump.

If we win the CL I still think we can retain the majority of our players. But perhaps, for the first time since the take over, we will have a battle to retain key players who might want new challenges. I would feel we are better placed to retain key players because of the way the club is run. It could be an interesting summer depending what trophies are won. I have a strong feeling we will win the CL this season. With the league beyond us realistically, and Pep's recent experimentation tactically we can give it everything and it would be exactly what David Silva deserves before he leaves.
You don't think Klopp's going to do a Fergie/Pep and try and get the bastards winning every season?

I'm not classing them as anything but just trophies. I don't really care what people say about the Community shield, Super Cup, CWC, League Cup, etc. Trophies are trophies. City as a club included the Community Shield in their "fourmidables" brand, didn't they? Yes, you're going to get sets of fans that belittle certain trophies, but I don't really care about all that. Trophies are trophies, however significant or insignificant they are.

According to Pep, last seasons quadruple was 3 trophies +1.

So, if he was Liverpool's Manager, and if he was asked the question now, he'd probably say, 1 trophy +2.

But yes, I accept your point. A trophy is a trophy.

Unfortunately Liverpool's fan base is constantly in flux, continually moving the goal posts to suit their agenda.

Last season the CL was more important than the PL title. Really? This season the PL title will be more important than the PL, especially if City win the CL.

And if City do win the CL, which is a very big if, that old Scouse chestnut will come out once again. "We've won it 6 times"

"City won't be a 'big club until they've won Big Ears 3 times"

"City have bought success and their recent trophies"

"City aren't European Royalty"

Etc, etc....

The problem is, Liverpool fans never give other teams or clubs any credit. But they expect nothing less than constant credit for Liverpool's past trophy successes, even if they were decades ago.

Once Liverpool fans start giving other clubs and teams the credit they rightly deserve and start showing some humility, then Liverpool fans might start being liked once again, instead of being constantly ridiculed for the comments they constantly come out with.

AFCON next year and the world cup the year after will have an effect for them, probably more so than us to be honest. Salah and Mane both off for 4 to 6 weeks could be a problem for them.

I can see them investing in their forward line again to compensate, rumours of Kai Havertz in summer, but any change brings about instability.

I do not think they'll win it back to back.

Would you use the same logic with city players? Won everything possible domestically so they might want new challenges?

Would you use the same logic with city players? Won everything possible domestically so they might want new challenges?

I discussed that! If we win the CL we might face it as an issue. We would have a lot of young players who might want a challenge but I think as a club we would be able to cope if that did happen. If Liverpool win the league they could see Mane, Salah, Firmino and Van Dijk look for new challenges. I think they still are very reliant on those players and have been fortunate to have them generally injury free for the past few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.