Champions League to expand by 4 games a season?

It looks like another UEFA threat to the Premier League. What is the point of more group matches and less knock-out ties. The crowds across Europe for CL group games are pretty shit now. Despite all the criticism our CL attendances actually hold up very well compared to many other clubs. That said the thing that ruins football the most for me are the meaningless international breaks and they are the biggest cause of fixture congestion. (Harry Kane loves them though because he can build his goal stats against third-rate opposition and be lauded as a better player than Sergio!).

Another proposal as part of this is that semi-finalists will automatically qualify the following season's competition regardless of whether they qualify via their domestic league placing.

Oh FFS. it is getting even more ridiculous.
When we were down amongst the dead men I didn't pay any attention to the 'new' Champs League but I seem to recall you had a mini league of four teams, the winner and second place went into another mini league and the winners and second place went into (I think) the semi finals. It was sacked off because fans got bored. Are the idiots in charge so forgetful ? Other than tourists who is going to be watching this charade in 2024 and beyond.

Football started to eat itself a long time ago, but at what point will people say "enough is enough"? Hard to sympathise with the clubs (including ours) who complain about excessive fixture lists if they agree to go along with this.

I think Uefa is offering two options here: vote yes or fuck off. No matter how congested a fixture list everyone wants into the CL. PL teams will be fielding PL2 squads for domestic cups!

Now I know I am kind of alone on this in here but I love the Champions League. I did not even dream of City playing in it 20 years ago as it was such an unrealistic possibilty.

I want to see us play the top teams in Europe

If it was the best 32 teams in Europe split into 4 groups, no seeding and no country protection, then I would be all for it. The top 4 teeams in each group go through and then it becomes a knock out.

The Champions league/European Super League could be a fantastic tournament. Unfortunately this will just end up being more a carve up to ensure the history boys qualify on a heritage ticket. These extra matches will be to guarantee the Rags and the Milan clubs etc, qualify every year without doing anything to deserve it.

Premier League attendances will drop due to VAR and Champion's League attendances will drop because of a watered down group stage - the 'guardians' of our game really have no clue other than making a short term profit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.