African Cup of Nations 2021

was i me or did mahrez and a load more come back from the last one with a over dose of sinus medication with it being on the ban list

Would you have been happier if we'd never signed Yaya?
Obviously not, but the point is that if there's a choice between an African player and a similarly talented non-African player, the African players are going to be at a disadvantage. It could be the difference between a club taking a punt on Zaha, for example, and not bothering, and will almost certainly reduce his value to Crystal Palace if the tournament continues to interrupt the European season.

Obviously not, but the point is that if there's a choice between an African player and a similarly talented non-African player, the African players are going to be at a disadvantage. It could be the difference between a club taking a punt on Zaha, for example, and not bothering, and will almost certainly reduce his value to Crystal Palace if the tournament continues to interrupt the European season.
As far as I rembember the African Nations has been in January most years except the last one. It's up to clubs whether they want to sign African players but it's never stopped them in the past. No reason the African nations should change the competition to time of the year that are unsuitable just to keep European clubs happy.

As far as I rembember the African Nations has been in January most years except the last one. It's up to clubs whether they want to sign African players but it's never stopped them in the past. No reason the African nations should change the competition to time of the year that are unsuitable just to keep European clubs happy.
Well yeah, and the reason it was changed was precisely so it wouldn't clash with the European season. The only reason it has changed back is because of the weather (which apparently they didn't know?) in Cameroon not being conducive to football that time of year. It's African footballers that suffer as they become less attractive to European teams. And as for "keeping European clubs happy" let's not forget who's paying their wages. It's not the Egyptian or Algerian FA. When Salah and Mane are playing in this tournament, Liverpool will presumably be paying them about £500k a week between them, so over a four weeks tournament, they've got to shell out £4m. Or to put it another way, the entirety of their prize money for winning the World Club Championship. Not to mention the effect this will have on their league performance next year, which could cost them even more money. This is the sort of thing that clubs will take into account when buying African players, and will affect their value and earning potential. It's in everyone's interests to not have major tournaments during the season of the clubs that employ all of the best players.

I'd disagree. There are a lot of African footballers earning a very good living playing in European football. And fair play to them. The likes of (FFS) Mahrez, Aubameyang, Salah, Mane etc have enriched the PL with their presence. But surely, it would be in CAF's interest to keep on good terms with European clubs, no?

And I'm not being racist, by the way. Some of my best friends are black!

I'd disagree. There are a lot of African footballers earning a very good living playing in European football. And fair play to them. The likes of (FFS) Mahrez, Aubameyang, Salah, Mane etc have enriched the PL with their presence. But surely, it would be in CAF's interest to keep on good terms with European clubs, no?

And I'm not being racist, by the way. Some of my best friends are black!
Racist.:) No I get that, and yes its in everyones best interest if they are held in summer, but depending on venue sometimes it won’t be and we have to accept that too. After all FIFA are in no position to ask them to avoid the winter after arranging a world cup in November.
My point was more it won’t discourage the clubs buying the best African players we know that because in previous years when it was in January european clubs still bought African players then moaned about it later when the African cup was played.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.