Meeting players after the game?

My wife, 4 year old son and I migrated to NZ in 1974. We came back on holiday in 1976. My young sister had managed to get us a invitation as "Guest of the Club" to meet the players after the match. My wife and I spent about 15 minutes talking with Joe Corrigan while our son was taken down to the dressing room where he got all the player's autographs.
And then on a visit in 1992 we got to meet Peter Reid and the players before a game. Our daughter was with us this trip and she got the autographs while Peter Reid took my wife and I down the tunnel onto the Maine Road pitch.
Bet the chances of that happening today are non existent.

I’ve posted this before, but it’s my biggest boast as a City fan, so it definitely deserves repeating!

I once got the team coach back from an away game. I’m guessing about 1987. From Highfield Road.

I’d been out the night before, got absolutely smashed, fell down a bank and got loads of grass stains on my jeans - my only trousers for the weekend. Obviously I wasn’t that arsed until I went on the team coach. It was commented upon.

Organised by my mate’s dad, who’d driven us over, who was a marketing director for a big sponsor of City at the time. Think he was shagging some younger bird and wanted to mug us off, so he dangled the ultimate carrot towards me and his son, to divert us: the team coach. Took all of 0.013 seconds for me to say yes.

Was an incredible experience that I’ll never forget.

Imagine that happening now!

i think i can come close to that.

in 87/88 ish when we played stoke away my dad had a pal who was a stoke director. I was 13/14.

driving down to stoke my dad wanted to watch a horse race so we stopped at the hotel just off the m6 j16. Went into reception to ask of there was a tv room and receptionist pointed the way.
We walked into this tv room to see the while City squad there watching the racing!!! I nearly died.
Paul stewart, white, lake, mcnab, brightwell etc etc.
Paul stewart called me over and told me to sit next to him and he asked me about the race, the match and treated my like an equal. I was buzzing beyond belief as u can imagine. Just watching all the players have there ‘bantz’ was amazing.

got to the ground as as we were sat in the directors box there were a few faces there too. Took my seat next to dave sexton who was england U21 manager at the time and he talked me through the game and who he was watching etc.
In the bar after we saw mel machin and a few more players.

an utterly unforgettable day

i think i can come close to that.

in 87/88 ish when we played stoke away my dad had a pal who was a stoke director. I was 13/14.

driving down to stoke my dad wanted to watch a horse race so we stopped at the hotel just off the m6 j16. Went into reception to ask of there was a tv room and receptionist pointed the way.
We walked into this tv room to see the while City squad there watching the racing!!! I nearly died.
Paul stewart, white, lake, mcnab, brightwell etc etc.
Paul stewart called me over and told me to sit next to him and he asked me about the race, the match and treated my like an equal. I was buzzing beyond belief as u can imagine. Just watching all the players have there ‘bantz’ was amazing.

got to the ground as as we were sat in the directors box there were a few faces there too. Took my seat next to dave sexton who was england U21 manager at the time and he talked me through the game and who he was watching etc.
In the bar after we saw mel machin and a few more players.

an utterly unforgettable day
Great story that, pal :-)

1hr to 1:30hr after the game in the car park near the main entrance. Don’t expect many to stop tho as they are normally with family.
Gundo and Kev said hello last time I was there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.