Investigation in Liverpool's 'hacking' of our computer systems

Liverpool Bias? So I make a few posts that don't sit well with the crowd that claim everything in the football world is aligned with the sole intention of ensuring Liverpool win the PL, and i'm a secret Liverpool fan? The actual post you referenced had absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool either.

For what its worth on the actual subject, and these points are made without knowing the law, just an opinion:

The way I see it, Liverpool hired some former City staff who for a period of 8 months used existing login details whilst employed at Liverpool to see details of City's activities on the Scout7 platform. I don't believe this to be morally right, and Liverpool could have gained some vital information on who we were tracking and potentially gained an advantage when deciding which players to try and sign. I think it is safe to say Liverpool had knowledge that this was happening, although their payment of £1m was made without any acknowledgement of liability.

Whilst City are in this instance the victims, they have also shown themselves to have made some pretty basic errors. Upon leaving the club, why were the staff members credentials not deleted? I agree that this is a serious crime (someone can tell me exactly what the crime is), and Liverpool should face some form of punishment, but there must be some reason why the club did not inform the FA of the situation? That would appear to be the most obvious course to take. Accepting the £1m, whilst maybe not the end of the matter by law (again, maybe someone can explain this), suggests to me, that City saw this as an acceptable resolution to the situation.

So whilst I understand the displeasure in Liverpool's actions, who may well have been better advised to sack the staff members in question along with making a payment City accepted, I also find it hard to be too bothered by the whole episode considering City's stance. A lot of people on here are suggesting serious sanctions, such as point deductions etc, and surely they agree that the likelihood of this happening would have been much higher if City had made a big story out of this at the time. Something doesn't add up, or people at City who have more information regarding the matter, decided it was not worth pursuing.
I'm in agreement to a point. As others have mentioned, access was via a current City employee's credentials, so deleting what belonged to ex employees would not have stopped the "hack". It therefore comes down to how they got those credentials, did the ex employees have these without the current employee's knowledge? Was there a culture of sharing credentials that was known/unknown to City management? If the current employee says he did not give his login to the ex employees then a theft has taken place and malicious activity has followed as a result, but my feeling is this is not the case due to City not seemingly wanting to push the issue and the fact that the first instances seem to have occurred whilst the suggested perpetrators were on "gardening leave". The club may have themselves to blame for the situation and they could also be liable for prosecution if they have failed to protect certain sensitive data.

I can`t understand any so called "Manchester City" fans, deciding that City are at fault here and Liverpool should be absolved of any wrong doings.I question your so called "support" of my Club.

I suggested City had some fault if the credentials used were their own, but happy to be corrected on that point (would be nice to be referenced to an article). I also did not say Liverpool should be absolved of any wrong doing. I 'question' your ability to read.

I'm in agreement to a point. As others have mentioned, access was via a current City employee's credentials, so deleting what belonged to ex employees would not have stopped the "hack". It therefore comes down to how they got those credentials, did the ex employees have these without the current employee's knowledge? Was there a culture of sharing credentials that was known/unknown to City management? If the current employee says he did not give his login to the ex employees then a theft has taken place and malicious activity has followed as a result, but my feeling is this is not the case due to City not seemingly wanting to push the issue and the fact that the first instances seem to have occurred whilst the suggested perpetrators were on "gardening leave". The club may have themselves to blame for the situation and they could also be liable for prosecution if they have failed to protect certain sensitive data.
You don't use someone else's login for 6 months to access information from a rival club even if the login was given to you. And then the question is what did LFC do with the data. They appear to have acted on it. And what did LFC do about it once they became aware of the theft?

It would still have been theft had they used their old logins. The staff allegedly involved at LFC weren't sacked, they were promoted and are in significant positions, and LFC are believed to have acted on the information. The material in the Times alleges that City have forensic evidence that LFC staff over a period of 6 months accessed sensitive commercial information from Manchester City. It's also been alleged that Liverpool moved on City's target and that is how the problem was identified and hence City's protests to LFC.

If these reports are true, we're not talking about deduction of a few points, we're talking about expulsion from the Premier League, huge fines and personal sanctions. The question is whether the FA and Premier League have the bottle to do it. I feel they will have no choice. The press know, even the Parliamentary sub-committee on culture and sport know about it (and demanded an official enquiry). It wont go away much as Liverpool want it too. And I don't see how it can be buried. If it is, then the FA will themselves come under scrutiny.
I so want to believe this - not much hope - but please happen. This is why it's important that City finish second.

ive not jumped to any conclusions, I am completely open minded as there is very little that anyone knows for certain.

a pay off of $1m with no admission of guilt for using scout 7 with a City employees login details.

we do know that football is a merry go round & coaches, scouts, players are constantly on the move. why would city be the only club with poor password control.

to confirm I know of no other clubs involved but suggested the possibility it could occur.

then its best leaving it suggestive rather than implying its happened with others.

Not really, the main argument is that City did not pursue the matter, or even make the authorities aware of the matter. Although the articles I have read on the subject do not state which credentials were used, their own from previous employment at City, or someone else still employed by City. I agree there is a big difference between the two, and would make the matter more serious, but then also raises questions as to why City did not inform the FA.
We could have informed the fa, spoken to them off the record,

Liverpool Bias? So I make a few posts that don't sit well with the crowd that claim everything in the football world is aligned with the sole intention of ensuring Liverpool win the PL, and i'm a secret Liverpool fan? The actual post you referenced had absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool either.

For what its worth on the actual subject, and these points are made without knowing the law, just an opinion:

The way I see it, Liverpool hired some former City staff who for a period of 8 months used existing login details whilst employed at Liverpool to see details of City's activities on the Scout7 platform. I don't believe this to be morally right, and Liverpool could have gained some vital information on who we were tracking and potentially gained an advantage when deciding which players to try and sign. I think it is safe to say Liverpool had knowledge that this was happening, although their payment of £1m was made without any acknowledgement of liability.

Whilst City are in this instance the victims, they have also shown themselves to have made some pretty basic errors. Upon leaving the club, why were the staff members credentials not deleted? I agree that this is a serious crime (someone can tell me exactly what the crime is), and Liverpool should face some form of punishment, but there must be some reason why the club did not inform the FA of the situation? That would appear to be the most obvious course to take. Accepting the £1m, whilst maybe not the end of the matter by law (again, maybe someone can explain this), suggests to me, that City saw this as an acceptable resolution to the situation.

So whilst I understand the displeasure in Liverpool's actions, who may well have been better advised to sack the staff members in question along with making a payment City accepted, I also find it hard to be too bothered by the whole episode considering City's stance. A lot of people on here are suggesting serious sanctions, such as point deductions etc, and surely they agree that the likelihood of this happening would have been much higher if City had made a big story out of this at the time. Something doesn't add up, or people at City who have more information regarding the matter, decided it was not worth pursuing.

They used the log in details of Rob Newman, a City scout who is still at our club. Nobody knows exactly how they got those details but the fact that Newman is still there suggests he didn't willingly give them away.

Morals don't come into it and in fact you acknowledge that it is a serious crime. Nobody here can quantify the damage, advantages or disadvantages this has caused us or them over the intervening years although it has been heavily suggested that it forced our hand in signing Fern & Navas(?) at that time. There are also the youth signings to consider, not just the 1st teamers.

You do seem to be finding excuses for Liverpool while trying to put some of the blame on City.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...tween-liverpool-and-manchester-city-sqjj27lsz

It would still have been theft had they used their old logins. The staff allegedly involved at LFC weren't sacked, they were promoted and are in significant positions, and LFC are believed to have acted on the information. The material in the Times alleges that City have forensic evidence that LFC staff over a period of 6 months accessed sensitive commercial information from Manchester City. It's also been alleged that Liverpool moved on City's target and that is how the problem was identified and hence City's protests to LFC.

If these reports are true, we're not talking about deduction of a few points, we're talking about expulsion from the Premier League, huge fines and personal sanctions. The question is whether the FA and Premier League have the bottle to do it. I feel they will have no choice. The press know, even the Parliamentary sub-committee on culture and sport know about it (and demanded an official enquiry). It wont go away much as Liverpool want it too. And I don't see how it can be buried. If it is, then the FA will themselves come under scrutiny.

I hope there is an official investigation into the matter, but based on how seriously you view the matter, what are your opinions on City's stance at the time? Does it not seem strange?

You don't use someone else's login for 6 months to access information from a rival club even if the login was given to you. And then the question is what did LFC do with the data. They appear to have acted on it. And what did LFC do about it once they became aware of the theft?
I don't disagree but proving what was acted upon might be difficult.

This is one of the very few stories in football that is actually quite interesting, intriguing even. I can't remember a story with such silence from both parties. There are literally no noises coming from either club.

From having read through the the thread and the Times articles it looks to me that the guy in the Times was handed proof from either a current city employee or former employee of either club. The non disclosure agreement signed looks like the reason only one newspaper are reporting on it. The guy in the Mirror or Guardian can't go to his editor and legal team and say I want to print a story that could get us sued based on proof I know the Times have but I haven't actually seen.

In my line of work I would have access to a bidding system the sales teams use to get discounts for retaining and signing new customers. For years now I have had the admin login details ( I shouldn't have anymore) which means I can see the discounts other staff members are or aren't getting. For no other reason than I'm a bit nosey I would occasionally log in under the admin and have a gander at what other staff doing. Total guess work here but I suspect that is what the Liverpool guys where doing. As they were checking in on their own targets they decided to check what their mate at City was doing, it could be a lot more sinister than that but where the clubs not shopping in different stratospheres at that point in time?

These guys are apparently analytical geeks, they can't have been that stupid to think they could log in hundreds of times from their laptop and wouldn't be tracked eventually? If it was sinister then would they not have logged in from a library in Birmingham wearing a fake moustache and glasses or through a third party in Malta or somewhere?

Liverpool threatened certain media companies about not running the story

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.