Stockport County

I regularly attended Edgeley Park back in the 60s. Cold dark evenings in Stockport not to be recommended. Underfoot, cinders and sleepers.
Good luck to the new regime.

Do you know if he got the ground as well. That is the big issue for them, no one is going to put serious money in while the ownership of the ground is outside of the club.
If i was a county fan i'd not want him to have ownership of the ground given his background.

If i was a county fan i'd not want him to have ownership of the ground given his background.

True - a doubled edged sword i guess. A quick google tells me the council bought the ground to stop it being developed by the Sale Sharks guy. As a stockport council tax payer i'm not that keen on them propping up a football club but i guess they get shit either way. If the council keep the ground and take away that motivation for ownership and this guy is willing to put some cash in then it could be looking good, they are at least 2 levels below where they should be.

Note wikipedia tells me that:

The ground once held two matches by the England international football team on the same day. On 14 January 1958 the England squad were due to play training matches at nearby Maine Road, home of Manchester City but the pitch was frozen. Edgeley Park's pitch was deemed playable so it was decided to hold the matches in Stockport instead.

The first game saw England draw 2–2 with a Manchester City XI, and the second saw the England senior side defeat the England U23 side 1–0.

This is great news, my father in law has watched county for over 70 years and is still a season ticket holder along with my brother in law. They go week in week out still, and throughout the 80’s onwards I used to stand on a Friday night and watch them followed by city on the Saturday. I only wish city would invest in them as a local club, loaning out players to them to blood them. Times have changed and that will never now happen and I do recall our games against them when let’s say we were often outplayed! Hopefully, given the crowds they get still, they can now start to rise back up to the main league where they do belong.

City fans from Stockport? Is there any lower form of life?

Apart from a County fans, obviously.

Better than weird half breed posh gypsy City fans who’ve travelled every middle class town in England.

(I know posh gypsy is an oxymoron but somehow you’re it).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.