Eminem lyric about Manchester bomb attack

At first glance, I felt a sense of moral outrage. But having thought about this, I'm indifferent. It's shock value. It's what Eminem has always done. I've laughed at other, similarly outrageous lyrics on his other songs, so I'm not going to pretend like I'm offended now that he's using an incident that was a lot closer to home for me. There's clearly an audience for that type of behaviour. It's why Piers Morgan, Katy Hopkins, Frankie Boyle etc all are so famous.

Honestly, I didn't have a clue he had new music out. I have no interest in listening to it. In fact, I find it quite amusing that people still listen to a rich, white, 47 year old bloke rap. And more so a 47 year old bloke who raps about 'dropping bombs' on people etc.... He's Tim Westwood reincarnated....

At first glance, I felt a sense of moral outrage. But having thought about this, I'm indifferent. It's shock value. It's what Eminem has always done. I've laughed at other, similarly outrageous lyrics on his other songs, so I'm not going to pretend like I'm offended now that he's using an incident that was a lot closer to home for me. There's clearly an audience for that type of behaviour. It's why Piers Morgan, Katy Hopkins, Frankie Boyle etc all are so famous.

Honestly, I didn't have a clue he had new music out. I have no interest in listening to it. In fact, I find it quite amusing that people still listen to a rich, white, 47 year old bloke rap. And more so a 47 year old bloke who raps about 'dropping bombs' on people etc.... He's Tim Westwood reincarnated....

I agreed fully with the first paragraph but not the second - I like him

He’s a prick but he did this with the aim of publicity and it’s worked a treat. Wankers like him want to be talked about.

poetry my arse.
It’s just doggerel.
And that’s the good stuff.
The rest is utter shite.
There are some very talented poets in Hip hop. Some use quite complex forms of poetry. They aren’t the commercial hip-pop ones than feature in the charts.

Here’s a verse from a track about New York from one of my favourites, Mos Def:
“The new moon rode high in the crown of the metropolis, shining, like who on top of this?
People was hustling, arguing and a-bustling
Gangsters of Gotham are hardcore hustling.
I'm wrestling with words and ideas
My ears is pricked, seeking what will transmit to scribes who can apply to transcript,
This ain't no time where the usual is suitable
Tonight alive, let's describe the inscrutable
The indisputable, we New York the narcotic
Strength in metal and fiber optics
Where mercenaries is paid to trade hot stock tips, for profits, thirsty criminals pick pockets
Hard knuckles on the second hands of working class watches
Skyscrapers is colossus, the cost of living is preposterous, stay alive, you play or die, no options.
No Batman and Robin, can't tell between the cops and the robbers, they both partners, they all heartless, with no conscience
Back streets stay darkened where unbeliever hearts stay hardened
My eagle talons stay sharpened, like city lights stay throbbing, you either make a way or stay sobbing. The Shiny Apple is bruised but sweet and if you choose to eat you could lose your teeth, many crews retreat, nightly news repeat, who got shot down and locked down, Spotlight to savages, NASDAQ averages.
My narrative, rose to explain this existence
Amidst the harbor lights which remain in the distance.”

That’s better song writing than many very of the best thought of all-time popular music artists who are lauded as being geniuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is his album buying audience don’t post much on bluemoon.
I liked his early stuff but can honestly say I’ve not paid attention to him or his music for at least a decade.

There are some very talented poets in Hip hop. Some use quite complex forms of poetry. They aren’t the commercial hip-pop ones than feature in the charts.

Here’s a verse from a track about New York from one of my favourites, Mos Def:
“The new moon rode high in the crown of the metropolis, shining, like who on top of this?
People was hustling, arguing and a-bustling
Gangsters of Gotham are hardcore hustling.
I'm wrestling with words and ideas
My ears is pricked, seeking what will transmit to scribes who can apply to transcript,
This ain't no time where the usual is suitable
Tonight alive, let's describe the inscrutable
The indisputable, we New York the narcotic
Strength in metal and fiber optics
Where mercenaries is paid to trade hot stock tips, for profits, thirsty criminals pick pockets
Hard knuckles on the second hands of working class watches
Skyscrapers is colossus, the cost of living is preposterous, stay alive, you play or die, no options.
No Batman and Robin, can't tell between the cops and the robbers, they both partners, they all heartless, with no conscience
Back streets stay darkened where unbeliever hearts stay hardened
My eagle talons stay sharpened, like city lights stay throbbing, you either make a way or stay sobbing. The Shiny Apple is bruised but sweet and if you choose to eat you could lose your teeth, many crews retreat, nightly news repeat, who got shot down and locked down, Spotlight to savages, NASDAQ averages.
My narrative, rose to explain this existence
Amidst the harbor lights which remain in the distance.”

That’s better song writing than many very of the best thought of all-time popular music artists who are lauded as being geniuses.

I miss Mos Def! Still listen to his albums on a regular!

Always makes Em look like a kindergarten attendee!

Maybe his fans were aware, but for most, his 2018 release went by unnoticed to the general public .... this 'edgy' controversy has put him back in the spotlight.

*Edit* ..... Currently sitting at No. 6 on Yahoo's trending topics. That ain't just because he has released another album, lol. As said, job done ... ;-)

To be fair when Kamikaze came out in 2018 it was big news in the music business as it was a "surprise album" and a few tracks in it really went in on other artists. He and Machine Gun Kelly's rivalry was a big thing and I'm not even really into rap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.