Investigation in Liverpool's 'hacking' of our computer systems

I'm in agreement to a point. As others have mentioned, access was via a current City employee's credentials, so deleting what belonged to ex employees would not have stopped the "hack". It therefore comes down to how they got those credentials, did the ex employees have these without the current employee's knowledge? Was there a culture of sharing credentials that was known/unknown to City management? If the current employee says he did not give his login to the ex employees then a theft has taken place and malicious activity has followed as a result, but my feeling is this is not the case due to City not seemingly wanting to push the issue and the fact that the first instances seem to have occurred whilst the suggested perpetrators were on "gardening leave". The club may have themselves to blame for the situation and they could also be liable for prosecution if they have failed to protect certain sensitive data.
Whatever we did or not did they hacked us,they are in the wrong here

I have already mentioned that I am happy to be corrected regarding who's credentials were used, although the article is behind a paywall (thanks anyway). I do not put any other blame on City, or absolve Liverpool of any wrongdoing. It would be nice to hear some opinions on why City did not make much of it at the time?
At the time we were not big players in the prem and also our owner and board have until last summer had the policy of not creating headlines,you should know that

When the hacking took place we were reigning PL Champions, I'd say that made us fairly big players.
I thought this was 2011? i stand correction if not,we were nowhere near the player the dippers were so that point stands and we didn't have the leverage they did,we were hated,perhaps we thought we were on a hiding to nothing

I thought this was 2011? i stand correction if not,we were nowhere near the player the dippers were so that point stands and we didn't have the leverage they did,we were hated,perhaps we thought we were on a hiding to nothing
The hacks were alleged to have taken place between June 2012 and February 2013.

In terms of the period before they left, that is incorrect. When you give an employee a login and password you inherently grant them access to the data on that system. If the username and password is shared between users then the giver takes on responsibility of the act, not the receiver. If they do so without permission then they are the culprit. If the company has not forbidden the act of sharing then they share responsibility for any consequences.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/cybercrime-prosecution-guidance

• Section 1 – causing a computer to perform a function with intent to secure unauthorised access to computer materia This offence involves 'access without right' and is often the precursor to more serious offending. There has to be knowledge on the part of the offender that the access is unauthorised; mere recklessness is not sufficient. There also must have been an intention to access a program or data held in a computer. Note the offence is committed irrespective of whether access is obtained.
I could tell you my logon details for work but that doesn't mean you have been authorised by my employer to use them.
If you left the employ and then knowingly logged in using someone else credentials then that is clearly unauthorised use and you would have a hard time explaining to a judge why it wasn't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.