Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s had to change because even no-marks like Solskjaer were exploiting his insistence on sticking to a flawed system. Plus the fact that we’ve lost the league so less is at stake.

How was the previous system flawed? To me it looked exactly the same as the one that won us the treble last season.

Anyone else feel like he’s experimenting with these different systems to ensure we’ve several plans, should we need them, for the CL rather than Plan A.

Maybe he has learnt it is best to experiment in the league rather than the away leg of a champions League knock out tie.

I hope to god he doesn't pull out a formation and system we have never used at Madrid away. We can beat these teams playing normally, I think the players don't know what they should be doing when he faffs about so much in the CL and that is the biggest reason for our mediocre record so far.

Simple. Because it was no longer working with the personnel available.

I get you. The system isn't flawed but isn't the best one available currently with the fit players. I probably agree with that, with the 433 things looked stale even going forward recently, think a large part of it was the awful form of Sterling, Bernardo and the centre halves though.

Regardless, everyone except Sterling has looked brilliant at points in the new system so I don't see why he would go back, even with the return of Laporte or Sane.

Anyone else feel like he’s experimenting with these different systems to ensure we’ve several plans, should we need them, for the CL rather than Plan A.

Our CL issues haven't been tactical though, they've been mental. Something bad happens, we don't get a penalty or we miss a penalty, or we concede one against the run of play, and then the team falls apart for 10-15 minutes and the tie is gone.

It's happened every season. Mbappe gets an early goal for Monaco and we shit ourselves, Liverpool score against the run of play in the first game and we concede 2 more in the next 15 minutes after going to pieces. Leroy's goal is disallowed and we go to pieces again.

Last year, we Laporte made a bad mistake, then lost his head and cost us another goal and the tie.

Tactics aren't the issue, it's reacting badly to things going slightly wrong and turning molehills into mountains.

Last edited:
Our CL issues haven't been tactical though, they've been mental. Something bad happens, we don't get a penalty or we miss a penalty, or we concede one against the run of play, and then the team falls apart for 10-15 minutes and the tie is gone.

It's happened every season. Mbappe gets an early goal for Monaco and we shit ourselves, Liverpool score against the run of play in the first game and we concede 2 more in the next 15 minutes after going to pieces. Leroy's goal is disallowed and we go to pieces again.

Last year, we Laporte made a bad mistake, then lost his head and cost us another goal and the tie.

Tactics aren't the issue, it's reacting badly to things going slightly wrong and turning molehills into mountains.
Gundo even said this himself last year:
“I have the feeling that we are nervous in important Champions League games. Negative events like that always set us back far too much. Had we scored from the penalty we’d have taken Tottenham apart, but instead we withdrew from the game.”

Pep Guardiola: “I’ve said it many times. Not because we won the last two games. I’m sorry, I’m going to stay. I enjoy working with them, I like it. But even if it was going bad I’m not going anywhere."

Pep Guardiola: "What happened to the last [few] champions, the year after when they didn't have chance to be champions again? They finished 10th, 12th or fifth and qualify for the Champions League. It happened to the last champions [Chelsea]..."

"We won back-to-back but we are fighting. We're far away because the opponent is exceptional. I'm so proud of my players, a huge compliment to them that we are still there in every match. The main target is to play good and prepare for knockout games."

Pep Guardiola on flexibility in his squad: “We play Gabriel in the left; he is more a striker. We change a bit when we have to and that is the real quality of my players. For example with Raheem, Sergio and Gabriel, we have a lot of players in the box..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.