Recovery of external hard drive.(not)

mikemcfc

Team supported
CTID
I have a WD mybook external HD with loads of(ironically supposed) backed up pictures and music, that stopped communicating with my PC. I searched youtube of course and I found this is a common thing. I also found a ton of solutions that didn't work.
Then I found out that in some instances the problem can come from a faulty connection between the internal HD and the external connection for the usb. As recommended I purchased a Nexstar HD reader on ebay for about $20.
I plugged the reader to my PC, then I removed the HD from it's case and removed the connector, and inserted it into the reader,
and voila!
All my files were there. Now the embarrassing bit. I set about one big transfer from that HD to another bigger HD connected to another usb port and all seemed well until I inadvertently unplugged the original usb near the beginning of this process. Now upon retrying it no longer recognizes the HD again. you guessed, youtube suggestions haven't worked.
It's been months now but it's bugging me lately.
I'll let this marinate and check back, big thanks to anyone who might help.

disk management
check if it sees your HD
if you can then give it a letter

I am saying this because your computer might not recognise some hard drives without the hard drive having a number.

Here are some options.

I have a WD mybook external HD with loads of(ironically supposed) backed up pictures and music, that stopped communicating with my PC. I searched youtube of course and I found this is a common thing. I also found a ton of solutions that didn't work.
Then I found out that in some instances the problem can come from a faulty connection between the internal HD and the external connection for the usb. As recommended I purchased a Nexstar HD reader on ebay for about $20.
I plugged the reader to my PC, then I removed the HD from it's case and removed the connector, and inserted it into the reader,
and voila!
All my files were there. Now the embarrassing bit. I set about one big transfer from that HD to another bigger HD connected to another usb port and all seemed well until I inadvertently unplugged the original usb near the beginning of this process. Now upon retrying it no longer recognizes the HD again. you guessed, youtube suggestions haven't worked.
It's been months now but it's bugging me lately.
I'll let this marinate and check back, big thanks to anyone who might help.

When you say it doesn't recognise it, does it show up in the drive list as anything at all?

it's been awhile, but no iir, upon plugin it comes up immediate in a box on the homescreen "device not recognized" or the like.
laptop is being used currently as a transport to stereo and TV for music and certain sports streaming that was not available on cable here. now that the darts and the rest of footy and busy season is over, i'll reconfigure later today. thanks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.